Skip to content

Carbon monoxide leak at Sault high school hockey game leaves players sick

Citizens asked to go to hospital if they were at the Sault arena Tuesday evening
fire_sault_truck_notext
File photo

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services asked anyone who was at the W.J. McMeeken Centre (McMeeken arena) on Goulais Avenue Tuesday evening to go to the hospital and get checked out if they are experiencing any flu-like symptoms.

"There was a problem with carbon monoxide during a hockey game between St. Mary's and Korah," says Deputy Fire Chief Peter Johnson. "A number of players have become sick."

The game between Korah Collegiate and Vocational School and St. Mary's College took place between 3:30 and 5:30 p.m. and the issue appears to have been concentrated in the dressing rooms.

Fire services didn't discover the issue until a firefighter's son, a player from Korah, became sick after the game and discovered some of his team mates were also sick.

The firefighter contacted the his platoon chief, says Johnson, and fire services sent a unit down to check it out.

"Readings were in excess of 250 parts per million," he said. "Very concerning with an exposure of two hours or more."

The W.J. McMeeken Centre is now closed, has been evacuated and fire crews are working with Union Gas representatives to determine the source of the high levels of carbon monoxide.

Johnson said there is no danger to the public in the area of the arena.

He did stress; however, that anyone who was in the building earlier this evening and is experiencing flu-like symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, nausea and headaches should immediately go to the hospital to be checked for carbon monoxide poisoning.