The Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry is reporting three new forest fires in the northeast region and 23 total active fires across the region.
Of these active fires, Timmins 1 is now 1,467 hectares in size and is located 2 km southeast of Morin Village and half a km north of Barager's Lake, states a news release issued by the ministry. This fire is not under control.
The ministry has issued an implementation order that requires the evacuation of the Shining Tree area, including Highway 560 from Meteor Lake Road east to Grassy Road; Nabakwasi Road; all activities within Churchill, Connaught, Miramichi, Asquith Townships; and parts of Garibaldi and Sheard Townships.
The order takes effect at 7 a.m. Monday morning.
Highway 560 remains closed by Ontario Provincial Police at the junction of Highway 144, and at Elk Lake.
"No person shall enter these areas unless authorized by a travel permit from the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry," the release states.
The three new fires reported on Sunday afternoon are:
• Chapleau 5 is under control at 1 hectare. It is located approximately 10 km east of the junction of Highways 101 and 129.
• Sudbury 13 measures 4 hectares and is located approximately 3 km east of Sellwood. Aerial fire suppression efforts were underway this evening, the fire is not yet under control.
• North Bay 7 is located approximately 15 km west of Latchford. Waterbombers were on the scene of this 3.5 hectare fire this evening. It is not yet under control.
Other active fires of note in the northeast region include:
• Sudbury 4 was confirmed Tuesday afternoon. It is a 212 hectare fire located 3 km east of Estaire and 1 km south of Nepewassi Lake road. Waterbombers, Twin Otters and belly-tanking helicopters were on the scene Tuesday and Wednesday. Seven fire ranger crews continue to work to suppress this fire which is not yet under control.
• Sudbury 7 was confirmed Tuesday afternoon. It is a 221 hectare fire located 600 metres north of Ashigami road and 0.3 km west of Ashigami Lake Road East. Waterbombers, Twin Otters and belly-tanking helicopters were on the scene Tuesday and Wednesday. Five fire ranger crews continue to work to suppress this fire which is not yet under control.
• Timmins 2 was confirmed Tuesday afternoon. It is a 57.5 hectare fire located near Duchabani Creek, 1.5 km northwest of Cullen Lake. It is under control.
• Kirkland Lake 2 is not yet under control at 44 hectares and was confirmed Friday west of Twitchgrass Lake. Four fire ranger crews are working on this fire and are making good progress at establishing a perimeter around the fire.
• Sault Ste. Marie 5 was confirmed Monday evening and is under control at 40 hectares. The fire is located in Garden River First Nation in the Ojibway Park area.
To see the fire hazard near you, check the interactive fire map here.