One new wildfire has been confirmed near Wawa on May 16, Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services said in a release issued Monday.
Wawa 2 was confirmed Monday afternoon. It is a 0.1 hectare fire located 0.3 kilometres west of White River. It is under control.
Including this fire, there are currently 16 active fires in the Northeast region. Active fires of note include:
- Timmins 1 was confirmed last Tuesday afternoon two kilometres southeast of Morin Village and half a kilometre north of Barager's Lake. Aerial fire suppression aircraft worked on this fire again yesterday evening. The fire was remapped and its perimeter was updated to 1,467 hectares. Hwy 560 remains closed by Ontario Provincial Police at the junction of Hwy 144, and at Elk Lake. For more road closure updates, please consult Ontario 511. This fire remains not under control. The Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry’s Timmins District has recommended the evacuation of Shining Tree residents. Conservation Officers and Ontario Provincial Police assisted with the precautionary evacuation Saturday afternoon.
- Sudbury 4 was confirmed the afternoon of Tuesday May 10. It is a 212 hectare fire located three kilometres east of Estaire and one kilometre south of Nepewassi Lake road. Waterbombers, Twin Otters and belly-tanking helicopters were on the scene Tuesday and Wednesday. Seven FireRanger crews continue to work to suppress this fire which is not yet under control.
- Sudbury 7 was confirmed the afternoon of Tuesday May 10. It is a 221 hectare fire located 600 metres north of Ashigami road and 0.3 kilometres west of Ashigami Lake Road East. Waterbombers, Twin Otters and belly-tanking helicopters were on the scene Tuesday and Wednesday. Five FireRanger crews continue to work to suppress this fire which is being held.
- Timmins 2 was confirmed the afternoon of Tuesday May 10. It is a 57.5 hectare fire located near Duchabani Creek, 1.5 kilometres northwest of Cullen Lake. It is under control.
- Kirkland Lake 2 is not yet under control at 44 hectares and was confirmed Friday west of Twitchgrass Lake. Four FireRanger crews are working on this fire and are making good progress at establishing a perimeter around the fire.
- Sudbury 11 was confirmed on Friday. It is a 88 hectare fire located two kilometres northeast of Mink Lake. It is not under control.
To see the fire hazard near you, check the interactive fire map here.