Skip to content
4.4 °Cforecast >
Cloudy
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Unconscious man pulled from Thunder Bay floodway

Incident occurred less than a week after a 21-year-old man was found dead in same water body
0
IMG_9968
Photo by Luisa Alvarez, Thunder Bay Television.

THUNDER BAY – An unconscious man was pulled from the McIntyre River on Wednesday night, less than a week after the body of a 21-year-old man was pulled from an area waterway.

Platoon Chief Kelly Patterson of Thunder Bay Fire Rescue said a 911 call was received reporting a man swimming in the river.

"Witnesses claim that the male was seen swimming in distress a short time before the arrival of first responders," Patterson said in a release issued later Wednesday night.

Patterson told Thunder Bay Television police had already arrived on scene when he got there.

“Police were searching the shores for somebody possibly in the water. I noticed from the bridge somebody in the water face down,” Patterson said.

CPR was performed on the victim, who was then placed on a stretcher and taken to hospital, paramedics continuing to try to revive him.

“Two police officers immediately went into the middle of the river and began to pull the man to shore. Fire was able to throw them a rope to get them in faster and then transported him to hospital.”

The man's condition is unknown at this time, according to a release issued by Thunder Bay Fire Rescue.




Comments


Leith Dunick

About the Author: Leith Dunick

A proud Nova Scotian who has called Thunder Bay home since 2002, Leith has been the editor of Thunder Bay Source for 17 years and has served a similar role with TBNewsWatch.com since 2009. Twitter: @LeithDunick
Read more