Employment Opportunity Notice: EX20-265
Reporting Location: 199 Larch Street
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Data and GIS Services Section, Information Technology Division, Corporate Services Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Business Intelligence Analyst. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $41.61 to $51.10 per hour (subject to review).
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Data and GIS Services.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of a corporate Business Intelligence (BI) program, related software and related technology including but not limited to Power BI, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
- Conduct the analysis and review of the City’s business systems to produce useful and meaningful reporting models that are based on user requirements and corporate objectives.
- Lead, coordinate and facilitate multiple Information Technology (IT) and corporate reporting initiatives which will further the visibility and usefulness of City of Greater Sudbury BI portfolio.
- Lead assigned project management phases of IT projects (i.e. delivery of required products for each project, monitoring time and cost for agreed tolerances, guiding project teams, recommending and updating project plans with actual forecasts, reporting to respective stakeholders).
- Define, document and disseminate the City’s standards for analytics, data collection, presentation and quality assurance.
- Design, build and maintain data marts and models and/or cubes using the technologies supported by the City.
- Maintain awareness of current and emerging modeling and analytics techniques, Extract Load and Transform tools, and BI tools.
- Coach and support business unit Subject Matter Experts (SME) in the proper business analysis and analytics of their data.
- Grow a culture of analytic self-service through training, documentation and workshops.
- Provide technical guidance to Information Technology staff for related BI technology and processes.
- Escalate unresolved issues and recommend project budgets and expenditures to the Manager of Data and GIS Services.
- Respond to user requests for assistance. Investigate the issues and analyze possible solutions.
- Assist in all aspects of planning and development with respect to information technology.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- University Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Analytics or related discipline.
- Additional courses in business intelligence systems, tools and analytics.
- Over two and one-half (2½) years up to and including five (5) years of diversified experience in a senior system capacity providing analytics solutions.
- Experience planning and developing business intelligence systems, data modelling and master data management.
- Sound knowledge of systems analysis procedures and analytics and understanding of information technology hardware and software capabilities and uses.
- Experience with business intelligence tools and reporting software such as Power BI and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
- Working knowledge of several computer languages including SQL, Multidimensional Expressions (MDX), and Data Analysis Expressions (DAX).
- Familiar with Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) tools and relational database management systems (RDBMS).
- Satisfactory keyboarding skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail to: email@example.com or facsimile number: 705-688-3979. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX20-265) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.