QUALITY INITIATIVES & PROJECT SUPERVISOR
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Accountable for the Quality Control program for the repair and replacement of pressure retaining components in accordance with the CSA B-51 code, the Boiler and Pressure Vessels Act, the National Board Inspection Code, ASME B31.1 Power Piping and B31.3 process Piping Code and other applicable ASME codes
- Accountable for the Quality Control Program for the Fabrication of Pressure Piping Systems in accordance with the CSA B-51 code, the Boiler and Pressure Vessels Act, the National Board Inspection Code, ASME B31.1 Power Piping and B31.3 Process Piping Code and other applicable ASME codes.
- Provides technical assistance in improving quality of products for supply by Utilities to internal steelworks customers.
- Provides technical assistance to the engineering department in the construction of new facilities for the Utilities department as well as for the steelworks.
- Collaborates with the Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) Pressure Vessel Inspection and Enforcement Branch.
- Collaborates with various steelworks maintenance departments to satisfy TSSA requirements.
- Collaborates with Essar Steel Algoma Inc. and contracted Engineers to complete projects and accountabilities
- Collaborates with the Purchasing and Stores Departments and Suppliers to ensure acceptable delivery of material and equipment.
- Responsible for providing technical assistance and meeting deadlines on engineering projects within the steelworks.
- Responsible to determine engineering requirements and issue requests.
- Collaborates with TSSA and Insurance Inspectors in order to satisfy jurisdictional requirements.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Four (4) year degree in Mechanical Engineering and 5 years experience in in-service inspection and repair/alteration of pressure equipment OR National Board Commission Certification OR a Red Seal ticket in a Provincial trade ( MMT, EMT, Welder, etc.) with 10 years industrial experience along with:
- Extensive working knowledge of CSA B51 code, Boiler and Pressure Vessels Act and ASME codes.
- Working knowledge of the National Board Inspection Code, ASME B31.1 Power Piping and B31.3 Process Piping Code and other applicable ASME codes
- Thorough Knowledgeable of Steelworks and processes.
- Other qualifications based on experience and training will be considered.
- Relevant experience in the operation of a power plant working with piping systems and pressure vessels is an asset.
- Requires strong project management and organizational skills.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills to communicate, delegate and facilitate.
- Must have strong computer skills.
- Must be knowledgeable with and be able to apply various process computer software.
- Must be knowledgeable in matters pertaining to the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must be proficient at problem solving.
- Must be able to work in all areas of the steelworks and be exposed to extreme weather conditions, heat, noise, operating equipment and construction sites.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.