Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hotrolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing
low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
• Accountable for the execution of Health & Safety practices and procedures as per the Company's Health & Safety Program and the Occupational Health & Safety Act, including pre-job meetings
• Coordinate closely with Maintenance FLS and Trades personnel throughout work life cycle to evaluate and define job plan details, preventative maintenance (PM) strategies, spare parts strategies, work priority and weekly schedule
• Act as vacation replacement for Maintenance FLS
Equipment health and reliability
• Manage and maintain asset physical hierarchy records within the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), as well as maintaining drawings, records, and resource material within corporate systems
Work notifications for found work
• Where necessary, write work notifications for identified work
• Verify that incoming notification details meet the work request standard and follow up with FLS/Operator when necessary
• Enter notifications to service groups for services required to execute job plans
• Review and validate priority of incoming work requests and transfer priority ranking to skeleton work order
• Attend weekly department prioritization meeting
• Release and package work orders for Preventive Maintenance (PMs) as per equipment maintenance strategies
• Generate detailed job plans for work identified through notifications and ensure adherence to the work order quality standard
• Routinely review Maintenance Plans to descope / rescope, change interval, update Task List, etc.
• Define scope of the work and steps required to complete the job; include safety requirements, regulatory or environmental needs, technical specifications - create/pull relevant job plan and task list in SAP
• Determine expected time for completion & dependencies on other jobs (if applicable)
• Obtain approval to secure required equipment down time, relevant permits, and funds to execute the work
• Secure contractors within trade group/discipline
• Update work order status (e.g., Ready-to-Schedule, Planning Complete, Order on Hold, Waiting on Downtime, etc.)
• Plan jobs within trade group/discipline (e.g., utilities, central pools)
• Support the planning and execution of priority break-in work
• Review all Ready-to-Schedule work orders, including confirmation that the job is kitted, and upcoming production schedule to develop weekly maintenance schedule with input from FLS
• Maintain 3-4 week forecast of upcoming ready work
Acquiring parts & tools
• Identify and issue Purchase Requests (PRs) or Reservations for needed parts and tools specified in work order
• Liaise with Procurement department to understand & propose mitigations against possible parts delays, and escalate issues as needed
• Manage rebuildable spare parts including stocking level recommendations, facilitating equipment rebuilds, scrapping parts and updating the CMMS
Reviewing / absorbing feedback
• Join daily pre and post shift huddles to create a culture of execution accountability and safety, to celebrate successes, and to gain feedback on work orders and job plans
• Solicit job plan & bill of materials feedback from executing technician and supervisor; lessons learned
• Update task list / job procedures given feedback; close the loop with trade who flagged issues
• Must have a minimum three (3) year Mechanical Technology diploma.
• Must have a Mechanical trade certificate (IMT or MMT) and at least three years experience in a maintenance environment.
• Must have 3 years’ experience as a Mechanical Planner/Sr. Planner or Mechanical FLS.
• Possess sound technical and related trade knowledge.
• Understand the principles of equipment reliability.
• Possess familiarity with maintenance methodology, practices and procedures.
• Demonstrate good problem solving skills.
• Be a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
• Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to Health, Safety and Environmental policies.
• Excellent computer skills and experience with Algoma’s systems including Microsoft Office (outlook, word, excel, project) and SAP.
• This position requires the ability to climb and work at heights
Algoma offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted