Posting date: May 25, 2023
Job Title: Distribution and Collection Operator A (Lead Hand)
Posting # 1192
Section: Distribution and Collection
Division: Linear Infrastructure Services
Department: Growth and Development
Initial Reporting Location: Rayside Depot
Job Status: Limited Position
Number of Vacancies: 1
Affiliation: Outside Unit
Estimated Probable Duration: Seven (7) Months (may be extended)
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes
Range of Pay: $30.88 to $34.92 per hour
The start date will follow the selection process.
A criminal record check is required for this position and will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your criminal record check with your application.
Characteristic Duties: Under the supervision of a Foreperson.
1. Act as Operator-In-Charge and assume responsibility for the operation and maintenance of CGS’s distribution and collection system facilities and infrastructure.
2. Responsible for conducting investigations concerning immediate problems and complaints in any phase of CGS’s water/wastewater operations as directed.
3. Make immediate repairs or adjustments when qualified to do so, or report to or acquire action by qualified personnel to rectify the situation.
4. Complete logbook entries and comprehensive reports on all investigations.
5. Responsible for overseeing the activities of a crew engaged in minor construction and maintenance projects.
6. Required to do light work along with overseeing the crew.
7. Collect samples, perform routine lab tests and document results.
8. Direct and instruct other operators and/or train junior employees in the safe and efficient operation of water/wastewater systems and facilities.
9. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
10. Perform other related duties as required.
• Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
• Applicants must possess and maintain, at a minimum, Water Distribution Level I certification and Waste Water Collection Level 1 certification. This is a provincially legislated requirement.
• Higher levels of certification considered a definite asset.
• Must have a minimum of two (2) years experience in water/wastewater operations.
• Able to effectively complete M.M.M.S. Crew Cards.
• Prepare reports and exercise good judgement in dealing with emergency conditions and with the general public.
• Able to communicate effectively with mobile radio equipment.
• Must be able to read and interpret key plans such as as-built drawings, standard plans and specifications and associated equipment operating manuals.
• Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
• Complete knowledge of streets and roads within CGS.
• Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
• Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
• May require the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver's licence, and have an acceptable driving record.
• Must provide, at own cost, a Criminal Record Check.
How to Apply: Please visit https://myjobs.greatersudbury.ca/ to apply online.
We must receive your resume before 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, June 8, 2023. For those providing a French language resume, please also include an English version.
1. Click on the Apply for Job button.
2. Follow the step by step application process.
3. Ensure you attached a cover letter and resume. Acceptable file types are:
4. Once completed, review your application and click on the Submit button.
5. Upon submission of your application, you will get a confirmation on the screen that your application has been successfully submitted. You will also receive an e-mail confirmation to the e-mail address on your profile.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
Live outside Canada or new to Canada?
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair, inclusive, and equitable work environment and our City welcomes qualified applicants from anywhere. To learn more about working in Canada, visit this webpage: Applicants Living Outside of Canada (greatersudbury.ca)
For technical difficulties, issues, questions or accommodations with an application made online email [email protected]