Employment Opportunity Notice EX21-430
The City of Greater Sudbury requires a Solid Waste Outreach and Engagement Specialist (Bilingual – English/French)
Reporting Location: 1805 Frobisher
Estimated Probable Duration: Seven (7) Months
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Some evening and weekend work required)
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Solid Waste Support Services Section, Environmental Services Division, Growth and Infrastructure Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Solid Waste Outreach and Engagement Specialist. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $26.01 to $30.19 per hour.
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Solid Waste Support Services.
- Develop, execute and evaluate annual program education and waste diversion plans.
- Deliver presentations promoting waste reduction, re-use, recycling, composting and other landfill diversion programs.
- Conduct community outreach activities that promote waste diversion in various formats (e.g. workshops, tours, information/display booths, special events).
- Initiate communication with the Industrial, Commercial and Institutional sector to conduct waste audits and assist with the development of the site specific waste reduction workplans and programs. Provide on-going maintenance and support.
- Monitor and update web content for the Division.
- Maintain and update the Division’s Waste Wise on-line feature mobile application and maintain related statistical information.
- Assist in the preparation, creation and planning of solid waste promotion and education program material.
- Create, organize and deliver engaging presentations and activities to school groups to promote waste reduction, re-use, recycling and composting.
- Prepare requests for quotes, billing advices and process invoices.
- Develop and maintain a registry of all daily activities.
- Work evenings and weekends as required.
- Assist the Division’s Customer Service Representative during periods of vacation, overload or absence
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of a Community College Diploma in Communication or Public Relations.
- Up to six (6) months of related experience.
- Demonstrate organizational and communication abilities.
- Knowledge and understanding of solid waste issues, and public education and outreach strategies.
- Proven ability to work with computer software and administrative systems in a Windows environment (e.g. file maintenance, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, information input and retrieval, customer relationship management software, fleet management, Traffic Studio, Wasteworks, GIS software and other web-based application systems).
- Proficiency using design software (Adobe Indesign, Premier Elements, iMovie) and SMART board technology to create educational material, presentations, activities and videos will be considered an asset.
- Excellent use of English and French; verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Provide, at own cost, a current Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Physical capability to operating a vehicle safely, possession of a valid “G” driver’s licence and have an acceptable driving record.
- Note: A Vulnerable Sector Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Vulnerable Sector Check with your application.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail or facsimile number. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX21-430) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.