Employment Opportunity & Training Opportunity Notice
The City of Greater Sudbury
Plans Examiner (2)
Should there be no fully qualified candidates for these positions, less qualified candidates who can be expected to meet the required qualifications within a reasonable period of time may be considered for these positions as a training/development opportunity.
Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
1 - Permanent Position
1 – Permanent Position
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Plans Examination Section, Building Services Division, Growth and Infrastructure Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires two (2) Plans Examiners. The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $37.57 to $46.14 per hour (Training Opportunity range of pay is $35.89 to $44.04 per hour. The successful candidate will be paid at the reduced range until the minimum qualifications have been met).
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Plans Examination:
- Examine and approve plans and specifications for buildings and structures which are required to be designed by a Registered Architect or Professional Engineer and for other buildings and structures.
- Obtain and examine Permit Application Data to ensure compliance with CGS’s Zoning and other regulatory By-law requirements prior to approval of Building Permits Issuance. Issue Building Permits after requirements are satisfied.
- Consult with Architects, Engineers and Contractors regarding problems related to building plans and Permit Applications under review.
- Examine for approval, reports of construction supervision submitted by Architects and Engineers.
- Conduct necessary liaison with Fire Inspectors, Health Inspectors, other inspecting Officials, and departments whose interests are affected by the issuance of a permit to build, alter, renovate or demolish a building.
- Perform building inspections and assist Building Inspectors when required, including scheduling routine workload and training
- Perform inspections and structural analysis of existing buildings and recommend repairs or modifications where deemed necessary.
- Maintain calculations and progress reports of plans under review.
- Keep reference literature up-to-date on design materials and methods.
- Keep plans and specifications filed to permit easy retrieval.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as may be required.
- Community College Diploma or equivalent as an Engineering Technician or Technologist.
- Over five (5) years up to and including seven (7) years of directly related experience.
- Demonstrate proficiency with the provisions of the Ontario Building Code, National Building Code of Canada, Fire Codes, related Provincial Regulations, CGS zoning and related regulatory by-laws.
- Possess current Building Code Competency Certification in accordance with Provincial Regulations.
- Understanding of building construction design methods and specifications.
- Thorough understanding of zoning and building regulations and other regulatory by-law provisions required for permit issuance.
- Demonstrate administrative ability in overseeing the activities of Building Inspectors, contractors and developers.
- Demonstrate and proven ability related to microcomputer software and administrative systems in a Windows environment (i.e. Building Permit Management Information System and Field Inspection Data System).
- Demonstrate skills in dealing with the public.
- O.A.C.E.T.T. membership or eligible for membership.Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing an asset.
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail or facsimile number. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX21-406) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.