Skip to content

Here are the details of murder suspect Melissa Sheridan’s bail conditions

Judge calls conditions ‘extremely restrictive’

A well-known Sudbury woman accused in the murder of her estranged husband has been granted bail under what Superior Court Justice David Nadeau has called an “extremely restrictive” set of conditions.

Four sureties have committed a total of $100,000 for Melissa Sheridan’s release.

Crown attorney Rob Parsons did not oppose the release.

There is a publication ban on any evidence presented in court.

Sheridan, 39, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her estranged husband, Brant Burke, whose body was discovered on Oct. 25 on a trail in the Point Grondine Reserve off Highway 637, the road that leads to the hamlet of Killarney.

Also charged with first-degree murder is Kerry Burke, 58, the estranged brother of the victim. He will have a court appearance on Jan. 7.

Toronto-based lawyer Michael Lacy is representing Sheridan. He submitted what he called the “most restrictive bail order that can be imagined.” 

As part of her release, Sheridan is required to live with one of her sureties, not change her address without a further court order, to deposit her passport with the Ontario Provincial Police within 24 hours of her release, and must not reapply for a passport.

Sheridan is required to remain in her residence at all times unless she is in the immediate presence of one or more of her sureties or for medical emergencies that require transportation to a hospital. She’s not to have communication directly or indirectly with a list of 13 people, and she’s not to possess any weapons or ammunition

Furthermore, Sheridan must have an operative landline in her residence, and when alone in her residence, to answer the phone immediately if it rings. Within 24 hours of her release and at her own expense, she is to be equipped with a GPS monitoring device and to wear it at all times. She’s not to attend within 50 metres of two members of the Burke family.

Sheridan’s matter will return to court Dec. 24.