Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Good morning, Sudbury! Here are eight stories to start your day

Here's what's happening around Greater Sudbury today
0
270320_peace_tower
Sudbury Peace Tower Housing Project. (Supplied)

Good morning, Greater Sudbury.

Here are some stories to start your day.

Two residents of Manitoulin District test positive for COVID-19

Public Health Sudbury and District (PHSD) has confirmed the area's eighth and ninth case of COVID-19 to be two residents of the Manitoulin District who recently returned from an Australian cruise. Find more details here.

HSN says it’s not limiting staff to one PPE per shift as other hospitals have done

A number of Ontario hospitals have taken the step of limiting the number of surgical and/or procedural masks employees may use per shift, but that’s not the case at Health Sciences North. Hospital spokesperson Jason Turnbull told Sudbury.com this week that directive is not one that’s currently in place at Sudbury’s hospital “so far.” Read the full story here

Greater Sudbury playgrounds, park amenities closed in response to COVID-19

The City of Greater Sudbury has temporarily closed all playgrounds and park amenities to reinforce social distancing mandates introduced in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This includes play, structures, off-leash dog parks, skateboard parks, playfields, sport courts and other park amenities. Read the full story here

Trudeau announces $65.5-million in supports for the vulnerable during COVID-19

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced additional measures to support Canada's most vulnerable as they cope with the medical, social, and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. In his latest public address, Trudeau said the Government of Canada would be allocating an additional $66.5-million to help seniors, kids, as well as those facing homelessness. Read the full story here

Domestic air, train travel denied to anyone with COVID-19 symptoms

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that as of noon Monday, boarding of domestic flights and trains will be denied to people showing any symptoms related to COVID-19. He said all Canadians are being asked to remain home as much as possible in an effort to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus, but in particular those with symptoms of COVID-19 should not go out. Read the full story here

Support building of affordable housing at the Sudbury Peace Tower

Greater Sudbury city council spent much of its first virtual meeting discussing matters related to the COVID-19 pandemic, but there was some other business on the agenda on March 24. Sudbury Peace Tower Housing Project steering committee chair Michael Cullen gave an electronic presentation on a project that will look to address homelessness in Greater Sudbury. Read the full story here

Byfield named 2019-20 Wolves MVP as team caps off shortened season

As the 2019-20 season came to an unexpected, but important ending last week in the fight against COVID-19, the Sudbury Wolves announced their 2019-20 season award winners. The Wolves finished the 2019-20 campaign with a record of 34-27-1-1 through 63 games, with five games remaining before they were cancelled. Read the full story here

Storm clouds drift into the workweek 

Greater Sudbury has been cleared of its week-long shower soaked forecast in place two days of possible precipitation. Mainly cloudy skies expected Monday and a high of 5 C. A few flurries or rain showers carrying over from the night before should end near noon, followed by a 60 per cent chance of rain showers for the remainder of the day. Northern 20 km/h winds gusting to 40 km/h in the morning, may bring a slight chill to the day. Cloudy skies overnight and a low of 0 C. There is a 40 per cent chance of showers overnight, changing to a 40 per cent chance of flurries or rain showers after midnight. Northern 20 km/h wind gusting to 40 km/h overnight will lighten up into the next morning. 




Comments