Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Good morning, Sudbury! Here are seven stories to start your day

Here's what's happening around Greater Sudbury today
COVID-19 swabs
Public Health Sudbury and Districts reported two more positive cases of COVID-19 on Monday. (File)

Good morning, Greater Sudbury.

Here are some stories to start your day.

Health unit reporting two more cases of COVID-19 in Greater Sudbury:

Public Health Sudbury and Districts has reported two more positive cases of COVID-19. The latest cases are the 97th and 98th positive cases of COVID-19 in the area. Both individuals were in contact with a positive case with unknown exposure. The two people were tested on Sept. 9 and are currently self-isolating.

Residential garbage bag limit returns to one bag per week:

Effective Sept. 14, the weekly residential garbage bag limit will return to one bag per household. The City of Greater Sudbury temporarily increased the limit to four bags on March 27 to assist residents during the provincial state of emergency. On June 8, the garbage bag limit was changed to two bags as part of a gradual return to the one-bag limit. The collection of Blue Box recycling, Green Cart organics, leaf and yard trimmings, and large furniture, appliances and electronics remains unlimited. Please continue to place garbage in a secure, tied bag. Residents who use garbage containers must place tied bags inside the container. Garbage containers that contain loose or unbagged waste will not be collected. Recyclable items must be placed loosely in the Blue Box.

Ontario confirms 313 COVID cases Monday, highest since early June:

Public Health Ontario reported 313 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 Monday, which is the highest report for a single day since the first week of June. The last time the province reported 300 or more new cases in a single day was the first week of June. For the month of August, daily cases ranged from as low as 57 to as high as 148. In September, daily cases have increased from 112 at the beginning of the month to between 150 and 230 last week. Of Monday's new cases, 243 (76 per cent) were reported by three of the province's 34 health units. According to the breakdown of cases included in the Public Health Ontario epidemiological summary, Ottawa Public Health reported 60 new cases, Peel Public Health reported 71 new cases, and Toronto Public Health reported 112 new cases. Fifteen of the province's health units reported zero new cases for today's provincial summary. The province has confirmed one new death today, an individual between the ages of 60 and 79 years old. Ontario has confirmed 2,816 deaths (6.3 per cent of all cases) related to COVID-19 since March. To-date, Public Health Ontario has reported 44,817 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19, and has noted 39,974 of those cases (89.2 per cent) are now recovered. Get the full story here.

Ford says every option on the table as province braces for second wave of COVID-19:

Premier Doug Ford shared his concern over the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, with the province reporting 313 cases of the virus on Sept. 14, the highest single-day total since June. Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Ford commended Ontarians for their vigilance in the fight against COVID-19 while stressing that every option was on the table, including further shutdowns, in the event of a second wave. "We've been working around the clock for months getting ready for the second wave, and that's why we returned to the house today with clear plans to protect and support Ontario," said Ford. "Our legislative priorities have never been more clear and you will hear from us shortly, as we roll out plans to keep Ontario safe you will hear more from us in the coming days about how we will continue to support families and our most vulnerable."  More on this story here.

Back-to-school FAQ: What if my kid has cold symptoms?

The kids heading back to school amid COVID-19 this month has brought a lot of uncertainty for students and their families. Sudbury.com reached out to our readers for their back-to-school questions, and we’ve endeavoured to find some answers. Monday’s question: What’s the protocol for school if my child shows symptoms of a minor illness such as a cold? Answer: According to the province’s Guide to Reopening Schools, all staff and students must self-screen for possible symptoms of COVID-19 every day before attending school. If a student or staff member is experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, they must stay home from school and should seek testing and appropriate medical attention, says the province in its school reopening guide. Get the full story here.

As northern hospitals deal with backlogs, journal notes waiting for surgery can impact mental health:

With more than 4,200 elective surgeries on the wait list at Health Sciences North (HSN) in Sudbury, it will be a busy fall as Northern Ontario's largest hospital tries to catch up with the backlog. It is just as urgent at Thunder Bay's Regional Health Sciences Centre, where there is a backlog of 4,000 surgeries. Most of the elective and non-urgent surgeries were cancelled as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic as hospitals wanted to ensure they had critical care beds available. One thing that has not been officially measured, but is of significant importance, is the impact of lengthy waiting on the mental health of patients according to a recent article in the Canadian Journal of Surgery. The article, submitted by Sam M. Wiseman, MD; Trafford Crump, PhD; Eric Cadesky, MDCM and Jason M. Sutherland, PhD, said although little attention is being paid to the mental health of patients who have to wait unusually long periods for their surgery, there is indeed an impact. The study noted that as Canadian hospitals are “ramping up” their elective operations, governments, hospital administrators, surgeons and referring doctors have limited evidence-based tools for prospectively prioritizing people who are waiting for surgery. Find the full story here.

Pair of impaired stunt drivers caught speeding at 155 km/h in a 60 zone: GSPS:

Two drivers were caught over the weekend by police travelling at 155 kilometers per hour in a posted 60-km/h zone. They were stopped Sept. 12 on Falconbridge Highway near Cedar Green in Garson, said Greater Sudbury Police Service. Police said further investigation revealed both drivers had been drinking. As a result, a woman and a man were each charged with impaired driving, stunt driving and racing. The vehicles were impounded for seven days and 90-day driver’s licence suspensions were issued.

Tuesday Weather:

Cloudy skies with a 60 per cent chance of showers today. Rain is possible this morning and into the afternoon. Tuesday's high will be sitting at around 17. Mainly cloudy into the evening. Overnight low will be 14. For current weather conditions, short-term and long-term forecasts visit Sudbury.com's weather page at www.sudbury.com/weather.




Comments