(NC)-Gardening is one of Canada's fastest-growing outdoor
leisure activities. For those who like to garden but don't have
a large yard, container gardening is the perfect solution. To
help you get started the gardening team at Canadian Tire offers
the following unique ideas:
- Bulbs add a dramatic accent that can turn a small space -
like a patio or balcony - into an exotic garden.
- Easy to grow bulbs include hemerocallis, zantedeschia,
begonia, dahlia, hosta and astilbe.
- Plant an herb garden for a constant supply of fresh herbs.
Basil, chives, parsley, marjoram and thyme are all easy to grow
in containers and are the perfect addition to any meal.
- A container garden is a miniature plant oasis. It starts
with a good soil to aid in moisture retention and air flow
along with a fertilizer application every two weeks. Visit your
local garden centre to find the right soil and fertilizer for
- For condo patios or cottage decks, try growing a vegetable
container garden. Small vegetables such as tomatoes and peppers
will grow in pots as small as five inches deep.
- Try to find interesting, decorative containers to plant
in. They will provide the space with immediate colour while you
are waiting for your garden to grow and can complete your
backyard look. Various styles, colours, sizes and finishes will
help you create a beautiful outdoor space. Visit the garden
centre at Canadian Tire to find the perfect box for your
- Buy a couple of extra containers for children to use as
their very own first garden.
- For weddings, birthday parties or other special events, create special containers to use as centerpieces or to give as gifts to your guests.