Whether you plant your roots in a community garden, school, business, or a bit closer to home, the Foodshed Project invites you to submit your long-stemmed beauty in their fourth annual Giant Sunflower Contest. https://foodshedproject.ca/
Judging will take place Sept 21 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Downtown Sudbury Market, based on the categories listed below.
Tallest Sunflower Plant
The tallest plant will be measured from the base of the stem (not including the roots) to the top of the seed head. We ask that gardeners cut off the roots to make it easier to measure the stem. We also ask that the leaves be removed from the stem because only the stalk and seed head will be measured.
Biggest Seed Head
This will be measured across the diameter of the seed head. The flower petals will not be measured or needed. Heads should be cut from the stem.
The sunflower with the highest number of flower heads on a single stem will win this category. There will only be one winner in this category.
1. You can use whatever soil, fertilizer, or growing medium you want.
2. No one is allowed to tamper with anyone else’s plants, seed, etc.
3. Limit is one sunflower per category. You can’t use the same sunflower for multiple categories.
4. Open to Greater Sudbury residents.
5. Contest ends Saturday September 21, 2019