John Maslack, a prominent Sudbury businessman and founder of Maslack Supply in Sudbury, died at his Long Lake home on Aug. 12. He was 95.
Described in his obituary as a "successful, yet humble, businessman," Maslack started the company, an automotive and industrial supplier, in 1959 with three employees and a 500-square-foot facility on Barrydowne Road in Sudbury. It has since expanded to 200 employees and 13 locations across Ontario, including a 70,000-square-foot warehouse and training centre on Falconbridge Road in the Nickel City.
Born in 1926, Maslack came to Canada during his childhood, settling with his family in Vermilion Bay in northwestern Ontario. He moved to Sudbury as young man where he met and married his wife Leona, who died in 2018. He was father to two children, grandfather to five and a great-grandfather to six.
Maslack was the recipient of several industry and community awards over 60 years for his contribution to the growth and development of Canada's automotive aftermarket industry. He received the local Rotary Club's Paul Harris Award in 2010.
He served as board member of the Sudbury Memorial Hospital and was a strong supporter and advocate of the Heart Equipment Fund. He sponsored youth sports teams over the years and was inducted into the Sudbury Sports Hall of Fame in 2005 by the House of Kin.