Cambrian College honoured its best athletes this week at its annual Varsity Athletics Banquet.
Men’s soccer team player Richard John was named Cambrian’s Male Athlete of the Year, while volleyball player Isabelle Rivest was named Female Athlete of the Year.
A fourth-year player, John has played the most-ever games for the men’s soccer squad. This past season, he scored three goals, and was selected as both an Ontario College Athletic Association and Canadian College Athletic Association Athlete of the Week. He was also named team MVP.
Rivest had a stellar year for the Golden Shield women’s volleyball team. She was named team captain, team MVP, and selected as an OUAA Second Team All-Star. Rivest was also named to the all-star squads at the annual Sheridan College and Fanshawe College tournaments.
The Awards Banquet also featured a special Coach’s Appreciation Ceremony for Guiseppe Politi, Cambrian’s head soccer coach. In his 10 years with the program, Politi has guided Cambrian’s soccer squads to 10 playoff appearances, three medal finals, and two provincial medals.
Cambrian College competes in varsity men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s cross-country running.
"Cambrian salutes all its current, returning, and graduating athletes and wishes them the best success in all their endeavours," said a news release from the college.
Full list of winners are as follows:
- Rookie of the Year: Dyk Taw
- Rookie of the Year: Mathieu Archambault
- Coach’s Award: Brandon Moxam
- Most Valuable Player: Richard John
- Rookie of the Year: Jessie Hayward
- Rookie of the Year: Julia Jajkowksa
- Coach’s Award: Dana Isaia
- MVP: Jenelle St Jean
- Rookie of the Year: Jason Nadeau
- Most Improved: Josh Kneblewski
- Most Valuable Player: Lucas Claveau
- Most Improved: Maggie Little
- Most Improved: Emily Clark
- Coach’s Award: Teagan Langis
- Rookie of the Year: Jamie Ricci
- Most Improved: Marc-Andre Maisonneuve
- Most Valuable Player – Men: Erich Mundt
- Most Valuable Player – Women: Sydney Tarini
- 34 OCAA All Academics
- 2 OCAA Athletes of the Week – Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer
- 2 CCAA Athlete of the Week – Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer
- 1 Women’s Volleyball 2nd team All Star
- Women’s Soccer qualified for Provincial Championships
- Hosted Women’s Volleyball Provincial Championships
- Top 20 in OCAA Cross Country Provincials
- Qualified athlete for Cross Country Nationals
Bursaries and other honours:
- Mr. Nero Painting and Renovations Bursary – Kianna Houben
- Sudbury 5 Athletic Bursary – Nicholas Walker
- Sudbury Masters Running Club Bursary – Jamie Ricci, Sydney Tarini, Shawn Belanger,
- Aurel Fox, Marc-Andre Maissoneuve, Eric Mundt, Gergely Szabo
- Peter Gray Memorial Bursary – Megan Coutu
- Vern Dow Memorial Bursary – Brianna Scarfone
- Alanna LaHay #ShieldCares Legacy Award – Serena Lacelle
- Graduating Athletes, Cross Country – Shawn Belanger, Gergely Szabo
- Graduating Athletes, Women’s Soccer – Megan Coutu, Jenelle St. Jean, Kaitlin
- Houben, Kianna Houben, Sydney Hutchins, Morgan Melnek
- Graduating Athletes, Men’s Soccer – Nicholas Walker, Michael Polanco, Dylan
- Roossien, Brendyn Sauve
- Graduating Athletes, Women’s Volleyball – Emily Clark
- Graduating Athletes, Men’s Volleyball – Mitchell Reid
- Cambrian Athletic Association recognition – Andrea Manson (President), Brianna
- Scarfone (Vice-President), Stacey Lavallee (Representative)
- Coach’s Appreciation Ceremony – Guiseppe Politi