Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Capreol family escapes late night house fire thanks to smoke alarm

No one injured, damage estimated at $200,000
0
031016_fire_truck_logo
(File)

A smoke alarm is being heralded for allowing a Capreol family to escape a house fire uninjured last night.

Greater Sudbury Fire Service responded to a call for help at a home on Hanna Street in Capreol at around 12:30 a.m. this morning.

A candle left unattended in the basement rec room of the home is the likely cause of the fire, Platoon Chief Mike Valiquette reported this morning.

When firefighters arrived, the basement was in flames, but thankfully the family had already fled the house — thanks to the family's smoke alarms rousing them from sleep and alerting them to the danger.

Thankfully, no members of the family were injured, nor were any firefighters hurt. The family is staying at a hotel at the moment.

The fire caused damage the contents of the basement, and smoke damage throughout the home, but the actual structure of the home was not damaged.

Damage estimates are in the $200,000 range.




Comments