Ward 12 Coun. Joscelyne Landry-Altmann will be in court this morning, for a hearing on an allegation that she was in a conflict of interest when she voted on the location of the $100 million arena/events centre last year.
The court action was initiated by local businessman Andre Dumais, a staunch supporter of keeping the arena downtown. Landry-Altmann was one of the councillors who voted to build the facility on the Kingsway. Dumais accused Landry-Altmann of having a conflict because she was a member of the board of directors of the Sudbury District Motorsports Association.
While not part of the June 2017 vote, motorsports officials are interested in land near the Kingsway site for a future motorsports park, although any deal is years way.
Landry-Altmann, however, said last month that she resigned from the board in March, well before the vote on the arena location.
She also said the association is a non-profit, so no matter what happens in the future, there's no way she would benefit monetarily.
“There is no financial interest or gain possible for anyone involved as a volunteer with the motorsports association,” Landry-Altmann said.
While Dumais hasn't commented on Landry-Altmann's statements, he's expected to be in court Friday morning, as will Landry-Altmann and her lawyer.
She had hoped that Dumais would withdraw the complaint once it became public she had resigned from the board, but Landry-Altmann said this week that hasn't happened.
She also wasn't served papers in relation to the allegations, saying she found out about the case through the media.
Sudbury.com will be in court Friday morning to cover the proceedings.