Greater Sudbury mayor Brian Bigger issued a statement Monday afternoon, following Ontario Premier Doug Ford's announcement earlier in the day that many part of the province will enter Stage 3 of reopening on Friday, July 17.
"Earlier today Premier Ford announced that parts of the province would be moving into Phase 3 of the COVID-19 restart program and I am very glad Greater Sudbury was included in this plan," said Bigger in his statement.
"Details are still being sorted out and defined and we will be sharing with residents our plans for the reopening of places like outdoor playgrounds, libraries and recreational facilities once we have the direction and clarity from the province and Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health."
Stage 3 of the reopening will allow for gatherings of up to 50 people indoors and up to 100 outdoors. While restrictions are beginning to ease, the mayor urged residents to continue following the advice of public health officials.
"It's never been more important for all Greater Sudburians to continue to practise physical distancing and wear a face covering when doing so is a challenge," said Bigger.
"Taking this step closer to returning to normal is a testament to the fact that we listened to the experts in public health and we were smart about taking this virus seriously while doing our best to protect ourselves, loved ones and each other."