In advance of this week’s onslaught of winter weather, the province installed 27 electronic signs along highways throughout Northern Ontario.
The signs will display messages alerting motorists about road closures and upcoming winter storms. They will be updated at regional traffic operation centres, “delivering crucial road safety information to drivers in real time,” according to a provincial spokesperson.
Snow is in the forecast, and a weather advisory is in effect for the region, with 10 to 15 cm possible by Saturday morning.
Winter storm warnings and watches are also in effect for a wider swath of Northern Ontario.
The location for the electronic signs are as follows:
- Hwy 102 EB near Jct Hwy 11/17
- Hwy 102 WB near Jct. Mapleward Rd.
- Hwy 11 & 17 SB at North Bay west of Highway 17 Ramp
- Hwy 11 EB at Hearst Patrol Yard
- Hwy 11 NB at Englehart Patrol Yard
- Hwy 11 NB at Gravenhurst Layby north of Patrol Yard
- Hwy 11 NB at IMOS Yard south of Highway 11/ Highway 65 intersection
- Hwy 11 NB at Novar NB Truck Inspection Station
- Hwy 11 SB at Novar SB Truck Inspection Station
- Hwy 11 WB at Cochrane Inspection Station
- Hwy 144 Nb at Rest Area south of Highway 144/ Highway 560 intersection
- Hwy 17 EB at Wahnapitae Patrol Yard
- Hwy 17 WB at Southeast By-pass, southbound
- Hwy 400 NB at Huntsville NB Truck Inspection Station
- Hwy 17 WB at White River Patrol Yard
- Hwy 11 WB at Kapuskasing Patrol Yard
- Hwy 17 EB near Manitoba Border at Border Park
- Hwy 17 WB at Vermillion Bay Manitoba Border at Border Park
- TBay East CDMC Hwy 11/17 Junction at Nipigon
- TBay East CDMC Hwy 11 at Junction at Nipigon
- TBay East CDMC - Hwy 17 at Junction at Nipigon
- TBay West AMC - Hwy 17 at west end of Ignace - Lodge Lake
- TBay West AMC - Hwy 17 at Hwy 599 east end of Ignace
- Marathon MDMC - Hwy 17 east or west of Highway 627
- Marathon MDMC - Hwy 17 at Marathon PY
- TBay West AMC - Hwy 17 and Hwy 622 intersection
- TBay West AMC - Hwy 622 and Hwy 11 B intersection