Skip to content
2.7 °Cforecast >
Mostly Cloudy
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Fire on Edmund Street displaces two last night

Unattended cooking cited as cause: Greater Sudbury Fire Services
Two people have been displaced, but there were no injuries in a major house fire Saturday in Dowling. Greater Sudbury Fire crews were called at 2:50 p.m. to a location on Highway 144. File photo.

A fire that displaced two people on Edmund Street last night appears to have been caused by unattended cooking, Greater Sudbury Fire Services said today.

Platoon chief George Lalonde told that the blaze broke out in the kitchen of an upstairs apartment. Five fire trucks responded to the fire. 

Damage in the range of $50,000-$100,000 is estimated as a result of the fire.

No injuries have been reported.

According to the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management, an average of 1,281 fires per year is caused by cooking, higher than any other ignition source causing structure loss fires.


100818_Structure-loss-fires-ignition-sourceSource: Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management