Skip to content

Updated: Residents safely escape Garson apartment building fire

One unit heavily damaged, and others may be uninhabitable as well due to smoke and fire damage

Updated July 24 at 11 a.m.

Residents of a 24-unit Garson apartment building were able to escape safely after an early-morning fire that heavily damaged one third-floor unit.

Darcy Blanchette shared videos of the fire on the Garson Falconbridge Community Action Network Facebook page.

Jesse Oshell, deputy fire chief with Greater Sudbury Fire Services, said firefighters were called out to the Zulich-owned building on Moreau Avenue shortly after 7 a.m. Friday morning.

By the time arrived at the scene just before 9 a.m., the blaze had largely been put out, but firefighters were still extinguishing hotspots on the roof.

“Obviously we’re having to take apart quite an extensive portion of the roof, and then attack it from both the front and top,” said Oshell. “So our crews are right now working on that.”

While one unit was destroyed, the deputy fire chief said this morning he didn’t yet know the extent of smoke and fire damage to the building. 

“There may be other apartments adjacent that may not be habitable at this time,” Oshell said.

He said at this time, the cause of the fire is undetermined, but is under investigation.

Given we’re in the middle of a pandemic, many firefighters on scene were wearing cloth and medical face masks, as residents of the building and other nearby housing watched the blaze being extinguished.

“It’s very difficult during these times,” Oshell said. “We’re trying to keep our responders safe, and we’re very pleased that the residents have all evacuated, and they are keeping a safe distance as well.”

Damage estimates are in the range of $250,000 to $500,000.

Original story:

Greater Sudbury Fire Services appears to have gotten control of a fire that ripped through an apartment building on Moreau Street in Garson this morning.

The flames had been extinguished by the time a reporter arrived on the scene, but firefighters were still on the roof of the building to make sure the fire is out. It appears the fire tore through the second storey of the building. 

Deputy Fire Chief Jesse Oshell tweeted some information about the fire earlier this morning.

Oshell said initial reports are that all occupants are safe.

This story will be updated.


Verified reader

If you would like to apply to become a verified commenter, please fill out this form.