Good morning, Greater Sudbury! Here are a few stories to get you started on this Friday morning.
A new case of COVID-19 is confirmed at Finlandia Village in Sudbury
Finlandia Village in Sudbury has confirmed that a case of COVID-19 has been identified in an employee, a team member who works in the Lepokoti Apartment building (Block F). The information was provided in a news release and an attached memo signed by David Munch, Chief Executive Officer at Finlandia. "Rest assured that we have taken swift action to halt the spread of the virus through rigorous infection management practices and procedures,” said Munch. “We are working in close partnership with Public Health to ensure every possible step is taken to protect our residents. The health and safety of our residents, and the team members who serve them, is our highest priority.” Learn more here.
Sudbury police searching for person involved in downtown stabbing
Sudbury police are requesting the public's assistance after an overnight stabbing on Medina Lane in downtown Sudbury. Police say they were called out to the scene at around 8:30 p.m. Sept. 15 after a report of an assault with a weapon. The information provided to police was that an unknown individual had stabbed a woman while she was walking on the path off of Medina Lane. Upon arrival, officers located a 26-year-old woman, who had sustained what is believed to be a stab wound. She was transported to hospital by City of Greater Sudbury Paramedic Services with serious injuries. Through the investigation, it has been determined that an unknown individual approached two women walking on the path and knocked one of the women to the ground while stabbing her. The individual fled on foot prior to police arrival. Read the full story here.
Sudbury man faces child porn-related charges, breach of probation
A 29-year-old Sudbury man was arrested and charged with offenses related to child sexual abuse material Sept. 15. A search warrant was executed at a Sudbury residence by Greater Sudbury Police’s Internet Child Exploitation (I.C.E.) and Computer Forensics Units in conjunction with the Tactical and Intelligence Units. The accused with charged for accessing, possessing and making available child pornography, as well as two counts of breach of probation,
Two more youths charged in Manitoulin Secondary School altercation
Two more youths have been charged in relation to a Sept. 14 altercation at Manitoulin Secondary School that resulted in injuries to several students. The incident is under investigation by the Manitoulin OPP Crime Unit in conjunction with the United Counsel of Chiefs and Council of Manitoulin Police Service (UCCM) Crime Unit. Yesterday, the OPP said a 16-year-old from M’Chigeeng First Nation had been charged with assault causing bodily harm, assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose. The two additional youths now charged in the incident, aged 15 and 17, are both from Sheguiandah First Nation. They have both been charged with assault causing bodily harm. Read more here.
First-year confirmations at Laurentian down more than 30%
The latest statistics released by the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC) show the student population at Laurentian University is taking a serious hit in the wake of its insolvency and restructuring. Confirmation statistics released by OUAC Wednesday show 609 students exiting high school had confirmed they had accepted offers to attend Laurentian as of Sept. 8. But that same statistic was 904 students a year ago. That represents a 32.5 per cent drop. OUAC also puts out confirmation statistics on first-year students who are coming to Laurentian from a route other than directly from high school. In this “non-secondary” category, the drop in students is even higher. As of Sept. 7, there were 415 students in this category that had provided confirmations to Laurentian. A year ago, that same statistic was at 627 students. That’s a drop of 33.8 per cent. It was revealed last spring that Laurentian had actually budgeted for a 30-per-cent loss of students as a worst-case scenario.Read more here.
Most Sudburians have received the COVID-19 vaccine, but 15% still have not had their first shot
The most recent summary of COVID-19 vaccines administered in Sudbury and districts shows that the local health jurisdiction is ahead of the provincial average in terms of the number of local residents who have jabbed. According to the latest vaccine report from Public Health Sudbury and Districts (PHSD), there have been first dose vaccines given to 150,687 local residents.The summary also said that 138,377 people have been given double doses of the vaccines. PHSD said this means that 85.8 per cent of the local population over aged 12 have received the first dose, and 78.8 per cent of the population have received the second dose. This compares with the Ontario statistics, which are at 84.4 per cent and 78.1 per cent, respectively, for first and second doses, said the PHSD summary. This means there are roughly 15 per cent of local residents (aged 12+) who have not received their first dose. Read the full story here.
Some gorgeous September weather is in store for today. Thursday will be mainly sunny. Wind becoming south 30 km/h gusting to 50 in the morning. High of 23 C. Humidex of 28 C. UV index 6 or high. Thursday night there will be cloudy periods with 60 percent chance of showers. Low of 7 C.