Skip to content

Update: COVID-19 outbreak at Amberwood rises to 35 confirmed cases

Local retirement home says every step is being taken to stop the spread
290916_Amberwood
Amberwood Suites. (File)

Updated Jan. 12 at 7:16 p.m.:

The 13 new cases that were reported today by the Public Health Sudbury & Districts are over the age of 79 and media reports indicate that they are all associated with the outbreak at Amberwood Suites. 

Original:

Amberwood Suites, a Sudbury retirement home, said it is working diligently with local health agencies to manage the COVID-19 outbreak at the home which was first reported a week ago, on Tuesday, Jan. 5.

Public Health Sudbury and Districts (PHSD) said at that time one confirmed case of the coronavirus had occurred. Since then, the outbreak has blossomed to 22 cases in all, with 19 cases involving residents and three cases involving staff members, according to information provided by PHSD.

Amberwood, in a news release, said it is working to "provide the best possible care and support for all of our residents at this time."

Amberwood also said residents have been self isolating and staff members are diligent with personal protective equipment (PPE) and infection control measures. It said the health and well-being of residents and staff members is the priority at the home.

"We're making every effort to stop the spread," said the news release.

The health unit said its information was accurate to Jan. 11, and was based on information updated to 4 p.m. on Jan. 10.