Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Kids need up-to-date vaccinations before going back to school: health unit

In Ontario, children need up-to-date vaccination records to attend school and licensed child care centres
vaccination AdobeStock_128513269

The kids may not want to hear it, but the 2019 school year is less than a month away.

With the school year fast approaching, Public Health Sudbury & Districts is reminding parents that now is the time to make sure that student vaccinations are up-to-date and reported.

“Schools and daycares are settings where infectious diseases can be spread easily due to the nature of their environment of playing and eating close together. It is important students are vaccinated to be protected from serious diseases that can be prevented by vaccination,” said Karly McGibbon, public health nurse, Public Health Sudbury & Districts.

“In Ontario, children need up-to-date vaccination records to attend school and licensed child care centres. It’s the law”. 

Each year Public Health Sudbury & Districts reviews the vaccination records of thousands of students enrolled in schools and licensed daycares. Letters are sent to parents or students when records are incomplete. The health unit said it requires that students be vaccinated to continue to attend school and to send their updated vaccine information, so the health unit may update the Ministry of Health records on each child.

Thankfully, the reporting process has been made easier. Ontario has introduced Immunization Connect Ontario (ICON), a new secure online system for submitting child vaccination information to public health units. 

“It is a great alternative to paper records. Parents and students can view their own immunization record online, and can report any new vaccinations students received to this online site found at,” said McGibbon. “It’s like the yellow immunization card, only better. However, vaccination records can also be printed if a paper copy is required.”

Immunization Connect Ontario (ICON) can be accessed at The student’s Ontario Health Card number is required. Children 16 years of age and older can access and report vaccinations themselves.

For questions about vaccines, how to report them, or to book a vaccination appointment, phone 705-522-9200, ext. 458.