Skip to content

Updated: Firefighters apply oxygen to cat trapped in King St. apartment fire; all other residents safe

Fire concentrated in an apartment on the top floor

Updated Nov. 2 at 11:30 a.m.

Greater Sudbury Fire Services has administered oxygen to a cat trapped in this morning's fire at an apartment building on King Street. After receiving medical attention, the cat was reunited with his owners, said Deputy Fire Chief Jesse Oshell in a tweet.

All other residents of the building were safe, and have been evacuated.

Updated Nov. 2 at 10:21 a.m. 

The residents of a King Street apartment building were safely evacuated after a fire broke out in the structure Monday morning.

Greater Sudbury Fire Services firefighters are still at the building at this hour, working to extinguish the flames. 

Speaking to Sudbury.com on scene, Deputy Fire Chief Jesse Oshell said he’s not sure at this time how many units are in the building, or how many people live there. There is some concern for pets in the building, he said.

The fire is concentrated in an apartment on the top floor, but there’s smoke throughout the building and damage from the basement to the top floor. 

One side of King Street (the same side as Pro Stitch and Long & McQuade) remains closed to traffic at Notre Dame Avenue as firefighters battle the blaze.

Original story: 

Greater Sudbury Fire Services is currently on scene at a basement fire on King Street.

King Street is closed at Notre Dame Avenue, said Deputy Fire Chief Jesse Oshell in a tweet. Included with his tweet is a picture of what appears to be an apartment building.

The fire is on the same side of King Street as Pro Stitch and Long & McQuade.

The public is asked to avoid the area.