Skip to content

Ledo Hotel shuttered after firefighters find numerous safety issues

Leaky roof, exposed wires and inoperable fire alarm system all cited as safety issues

A number of residents were displaced from their homes after a fire at the Ledo Hotel on Sunday morning.

Greater Sudbury Fire Services responded to a fire that was contained to a single unit inside the Ledo Hotel on Sunday.

Once the fire was extinguished, firefighters who were on site noted a number of safety issues in the building. As a result, an Ontario Fire Marshal Immediate Threat to Life Order was issued and the building was closed.

A notice posted by Greater Sudbury Fire Services on the door to the building indicated a number of safety issues that were discovered in the building.

Those issues include a water leak from the roof that is continuously running through a live electrical panel, the main electrical room is unsecured with high voltage wiring exposed, the fire alarm system in the building is inoperable due to water leak and electrical to the building being disconnected. 

Assistant to the Fire Marshal, Andre Groulx also made note in the posted notice that evidence of trespassing and break and enter was visible throughout all areas of the building and alternative methods of heat, such as candles, were being used when the power was disconnected. 

The fire department has posted a fire watch and eliminated ignition sources from the site, additionally the hydro to the building has been disconnected at the hydro pole to ensure there is no power running to the building.

Kelly Brooks of the City of Greater Sudbury corporate communications department confirmed that a number of residents were transported to the Centre de Santé to have their needs assessed.

A total of 13 people were displaced and are being provided with temporary housing until they are able to safely return to their residence.

Le Ledo Inc., the group behind a proposed $40 million development for the hotel, issued a statement on Monday, expressing their sympathy for those who were displaced by the fire.

"It is with great shock and sadness to hear through the media this afternoon that a fire happened Sunday Oct. 25 at the Ledo leading to the displacement of the residents," said an email from LLI.

"While Le Ledo Inc. has entered in to an agreement to purchase the building, Le Ledo Inc. has not taken ownership or possession of the property. As per our press release on Oct. 5, 2020, Le Ledo Inc. was looking forward to working with the city and local social service agencies to assist with the transition of the people in the building."

Le Ledo Inc. added that they are thankful that no one was injured on the weekend.

 


Matt Durnan

About the Author: Matt Durnan

Read more



Comments