A long list of special activities are planned to celebrate Sudbury Mining Week (May 6 to 14). These high profile events will remind citizens of the importance of the mining and mining service industries to this community.
Some of these special events are:
- Monday through Friday students are invited to take the Path of Discovery. The tour leaves Dynamic Earth and passes (by bus) through the heart of the of the City of Greater Sudbury and visits local mining operations. The tour will also visit Penguin Research Centre in Naughton where students will have a chance to see what it is like to operate a remote scoop underground.
- Mineopoly Mining Games will be played Thursday and Friday at Dynamic Earth and Laurentian University. For more information, phone 675-1151, ext. 2273.
- There will be a free concert Thursday at the Atlas Copco Auditorium at Dynamic Earth by singer/songwriter Dan Thompson. The concert is a at 7:30 pm. Tickets are available at the main branch of the public library on Mackenzie St.
- There will be a Mining Week display Saturday, May 12 at New Sudbury Centre. CVRD Inco representatives will be handing out pine seedlings. Children will have a chance to decorate pet rocks.
- Northern Life distributed The Sudbury Mining magazine Wednesday (May 2) or Friday (May 4) depending on the distributed schedule in your area.