Almaguin Highlands OPP responded to a missing person on Doe Lake Road in Katrine, north of Huntsville on Friday, June 25, at 11 p.m.
Investigation revealed a man had entered the water to swim.
The OPP Marine Unit located a body that was identified as Alexei Golovbev, 53, of Bradford, Ontario.
The investigation is ongoing under the direction of the Office of the Chief Coroner and the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service.
The OPP reminds everyone that fluctuating water levels can cause special hazards for swimmers/boaters. "Water levels can change rapidly due to flooding rivers or water released through dams," says a news release.
Tips for swimmers:
- Always swim with a buddy,
- Let someone know when and where you're going for a swim,
- Test water with feet, don't dive right in,
- Don't swim while under influence of alcohol/drugs,
- Swim in designated areas and if you're not a strong swimmer wear a Personal Floatation Device.