Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Quick response saves resident from early-morning fire in Hanmer

Electrical failure causes more than $150,000 in damage to single-family home

The Greater Sudbury Fire department responded to a structure fire on Deschene Road in Hanmer this morning, which has displaced four residents from the single-family home. 

At approximately 4 a.m. this morning, a Hanmer resident was leaving for work when he noticed that his neigbouring in-laws' home had caught fire sometime over the course of the night. 

In the process of calling 911, the resident and his wife rushed over to the home to wake his brother-in-law, who was asleep in the basement at the time. There were no injuries related to the incident. 

The Greater Sudbury Fire Department received the call at 4:19 a.m., arriving on scene less than five minutes later with a total of six vehicles and 17 personnel from the Val Therese, Hanmer, Downtown Sudbury and New Sudbury stations. 

The fire was extinguished at 6:55 a.m. this morning, with no damage to nearby structures. 

The fire, which is believed to have been started as a result of an electrical failure, is estimated to have caused upwards of $150,000 in damage.


Keira Ferguson, Local Journalism Initiative reporter

About the Author: Keira Ferguson, Local Journalism Initiative reporter

A graduate of both Laurentian University and Cambrian College, Keira Ferguson is a Local Journalism Initiative reporter, funded by the Government of Canada, at
Read more