Skip to content

Saying goodbye to one of Sudbury?s oldest churches

By Rick Pusiak One of the oldest Roman Catholic churches in Sudbury will formally close on Sunday (Sept. 29). St. Clement will cease to exist as a parish and church at the end of the 11 am mass.
By Rick Pusiak

One of the oldest Roman Catholic churches in Sudbury will formally close on Sunday (Sept. 29).

St. Clement will cease to exist as a parish and church at the end of the 11 am mass.

A special ceremony will then be held to de-sanctify the building.

The solemn occasion is scheduled to end with a parade of religious articles from St. Clement to Our Lady of Perpetual Help, the boat-shaped church atop the Brennan Street hill.

A new parish, Our Lady of Hope, is being created at that site.

The merger will be formalized by Bishop Jean-Louis Plouffe during the 11 am mass on Sunday Oct. 6.

St. Clement was established in 1936 to serve Catholics in the West End.

The first Our Lady of Perpetual Help church opened on Lorne Street in 1938 to serve the people of Gatchell.

Parishioners relocated to a new and larger building on Brennan Street in 1971.

The merger of the two parishes came about this year because of the dwindling number of priests and shrinking congregations.

St. Clement is for sale and whoever buys the one-block property across from Queen?s Athletic Field has the option of renovating or demolishing the over 60-year old structure.


Comments

Verified reader

If you would like to apply to become a verified commenter, please fill out this form.