Skip to content
-3.0 °Cforecast >
! Mostly Cloudy
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Some stories to start your day

Here's what's happening around Greater Sudbury today
0
IMG_7685
Health Sciences North's new CEO, Dominic Giroux, is looking to get Sudbury's hospital back on track financially after the hospital reported the largest deficit of the 23 academic health science centres in the province last year.

Good morning, Greater Sudbury.

Here are some stories to start your day.

Back in the black by 2021: Giroux aiming to balance HSN budget within four years:

Health Sciences North's new CEO, Dominic Giroux, is looking to get Sudbury's hospital back on track financially after the hospital reported the largest deficit of the 23 academic health science centres in the province last year. In the 2016-2017 fiscal year, HSN reported a $7.13-million deficit and was on a path to exceed that number for the 2017-18 fiscal year by nearly $3 million — the hospital was staring at a shortfall of some $10 million. Speaking at the Sudbury Chamber of Commerce President's Series Luncheon on Feb. 13, Giroux outlined the financial forecast, highlighting that the hospital is working towards a balanced budget in 2020-2021. Find the full story here.

Thibeault announcing funding to support local newcomer services:

Sudbury MPP Glenn Thibeault will be at the Sudbury Multicultural and Folk Arts Association today to make a funding announcement in support of local newcomer services. Thibeault will be joined by Daniel Giroux, President of Collège Boréal, Dr. Remi Ogundimu, president Sudbury Multicultural and Folk Arts Association, Bella Ravi, First Vice President Sudbury Multicultural and Folk Arts Association, and Dr. Rayudu Koka, Second Vice President Sudbury Multicultural and Folk Arts Association. The announcement is expected for 2 p.m. today. Check back with Sudbury.com for a full story.

Black History Month: Burundian community in Sudbury shares stories, culture:

Francois Nzotungwanimana is a local engineer and the driving force behind the raising of the Burundian flag on Sudbury's Bridge of Nations. In our latest video, he sits with Marguerite Mbonimpa, a former school teacher and long-time resident of Sudbury, to discuss Black History Month and the things they wish to share with fellow Sudburians. Be sure to check back with Sudbury.com later today for the video.

Tickets on sale now for Night in Africa gala:

Tickets for the sixth annual A Night In Africa Gala, the largest fundraiser of the year for Zawadi la Tumaini – Gift of Hope Children's Home in Kenya, are now on sale. The 2018 gala is set for April 7 at Cambrian College, featuring the flavours, rhythms and culture of Africa. The children's home in Nairobi, Kenya was founded by Sudburian Jacqueline Villeneuve when she was just 18 years old. Now in her 20s with a biological child of her own, Villeneuve continues to provide a stable, loving home to 27 orphaned and abandoned children. Find out how to get your tickets here.

Curious Couture: These collectors showcase their creativity through fashion:

For Nadine Olivier, clothes aren't just practical items. She's a collector of a type of Japanese street fashion called Lolita. Clothing collectors “take clothing a step further,” she said. “We want to also showcase our creativity and who we are as a person with it.” Some of Olivier's clothing is on display until March 3 at Cambrian College's Open Studio in an exhibit called Curious Couture: Fab Fashions & Personal Collections. Read more on this story here.

Tickets to April 26 High Valley concert now on sale:

Canadian country music duo High Valley performs at the Fraser Auditorium April 26. The band is composed of brothers Brad and Curtis Rempel of Blumenort, Alberta. Until 2014, their brother, Bryan Rempel, was also part of the band. All three grew up in a family-oriented Mennonite community. Tickets to the event cost $53.78 each, and can be purchased through the Sudbury Theatre Centre box office.

A little love at Shiver & Sky:

Rose-Erin Stokes has music in her bones: hopefully she won’t be too chilled to them this weekend to share it. The North Bay born-and-raised musician is coming up to FIeld, Ont.—about an hour east of Sudbury—to play Shiver & Sky this Monday, Feb. 19. The Family Day edition of River & Sky is promising attendees a cool day of live music, classic winter activities like shinny hockey and saunaing, and hot food and beverages to fuel it all. Stokes has played the summer edition of the festival with the Hidden Roots Collective, but this time she’s going it alone. Check out the full story here.

Wednesday Weather:

Mainly cloudy today with 30 per cent chance of flurries. It's going to be a mild day with the high sitting near -2. Overcast conditions are expected to continue into the evening with a 70 per cent chance of flurries or drizzle overnight with risk of freezing drizzle. Temperature rising to zero by morning. For current weather conditions, short-term and long-term forecasts visit Sudbury.com's weather page at www.sudbury.com/weather.