Skip to content

29-year-old arrested for murder following Bancroft fire

Deceased believed to be Kenneth Edwards, 59

Greater Sudbury Police have made an arrest after finding a body in the charred remains of a shed at a home on Bancroft Drive on Saturday.

Police fire and EMS were called to the home just after 9 a.m. on Saturday morning. When they arrived, they found a detached shed on fire outside the home. Bancroft was closed from Neelon Avenue to Sheppart Street while firefighters fought the fire and while investigators combed through the debris afterwards.

It was later revealed a body was found in the shed and police were treating the incident as a murder investigation.

At the same time Saturday, police issued a callout to the public asking about the whereabouts of a man named Kenneth Edwards. Though police didn’t say if they believed Edwards was the victim or the man who set the fire, they did say they were concerned about his safety and well-being.

Today, GSPS revealed that they believe body found in the burned out shed was that of Kenneth Edwards, 59. His next of kin have been notified.

A post-mortem examination is being done to confirm the identity of the body and confirm the cause of death.

Members of the GSPS forensic unit, the coroner’s office and the fire marshal continue to process the scene and gather evidence.

Meanwhile, police announced that they have arrested the man they believe to be the person who committed the murder and set the fire.

At around 10:45 p.m. March 12, detectives with the Criminal Investigations Division arrested and charged a 29-year-old man for the crime. 

Police have not released the name of the man they have arrested. They did say he has been charged with first-degree murder, indignity to a dead body, arson, theft under $5,000 and failing to comply with a probation order.

The man is on his way to bail court, GSPS told this morning. Once he's appeared before the court, his name will be released, police spokesperson Kaitlyn Dunn said.

The investigation is ongoing.