Skip to content
6.8 °Cforecast >
Mostly Cloudy
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

One man dead, two injured after Tuesday fires

Fatal fire appears to have been caused by an unattended pot on a stove
0

One person is dead and another two were sent to hospital after a pair of fires in Greater Sudbury Tuesday.

The fatal fire was on Jean Street in the Donovan neighbourhood of the city, and appears to have been caused by an unattended pot on a stove.

Local radio station KiSS 105.3 reports that the person who died is a 54-year-old man. His name has not been released.

Greater Sudbury Fire Services was called to the fire at the six-unit apartment building at 5:36 p.m. 

Although fatal, fire services estimate the blaze caused $6,000 in property damage, with minimal fire damage and moderate smoke damage. Only one of the building's units was affected.

Firefighters were also called to a fire involving two sheds on Keith Avenue in Chelmsford at 3:53 p.m. Tuesday. Two men were injured and are now in hospital, one of them in critical condition.

They will be transferred to the burn unit at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto today, according to KiSS 105.3. 

Fire services estimates the total loss in this case to be $10,000, with severe smoke and fire damage.

Both fires are under investigation by the Ontario Fire Marshal's office and Greater Sudbury Police.




Comments