A 35-year-old Brantford man wanted on outstanding warrants was caught driving a stolen vehicle while drunk on Highway 17 near Coniston on Dec. 13.
The Nipissing West OPP responded to a traffic complaint about an erratic driver heading westbound on Highway 17 just east of Coniston at 7:40 p.m. Dec. 13.
The officers’ investigation revealed the sports utility vehicle (SUV) had been reported stolen from Sudbury.
Officers located the vehicle and began to follow it at 8:15 p.m. The SUV suddenly pulled a U-turn and proceeded eastbound on Highway 17. Police subsequently lost sight of the vehicle.
At 8:45 p.m., while stationary in Wahnapitae, officers observed the suspect vehicle, again travelling westbound on Highway 17. Officers followed the vehicle until it turned into a private driveway, just west of Coniston, where it was stopped and the driver was arrested.
Police say their investigation revealed the driver had been consuming alcohol. OPP reported the individual became belligerent and unco-operative with police, and refused to identify himself.
As a result of further investigation, the driver's identity was confirmed, which revealed the individual was wanted on outstanding warrants for property crimes, was a prohibited and suspended driver, and was breaching conditions of a probation order and a court release order.
The accused was transported to the Sudbury OPP Detachment for further testing but refused to comply with the demand.
The man was charged with:
- Operation While Impaired - Alcohol and Drugs, contrary to section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Failure or Refusal to Comply with Demand, contrary to Section 320.15(1) of the CC;
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order, contrary to section 733.1(1) of the CC;
- Failure to Comply with Release Order - Other Than to Attend Court, contrary to section 145(5)(a) of the CC;
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000 - in Canada, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC;
- Operation While Prohibited Under Criminal Code, contrary to section 320.18(1)(a) of the CC;
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000 - in Canada, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC;
- Dangerous Operation, contrary to section 320.13(1) of the CC; and
- Drive While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act.
He was held in custody and appeared in bail court in Sudbury Dec. 14.
The accused was issued a 90-day Administrative Driver's Licence Suspension (ADLS) and the vehicle was impounded for 45 days.
This incident marks the 77th driver charged under the criminal impaired driving laws in the Nipissing West Detachment area in 2020 and the 12th during this year's Festive RIDE.