Skip to content

Police make another arrest in relation to fatal fire on Bruce Avenue that claimed three lives

A 48-year-old man facing six charges, including three counts of being party to first-degree murder
The scene at a fatal fire on Bruce Avenue earlier this month.

Greater Sudbury Police have made a second arrest in connection to a deadly April 11 house fire on Bruce Avenue that claimed the lives of three people.

This morning, GSPS said they have arrested and charged a second man with being a party to what police are saying were murders.

The 48-year-old was arrested on April 24. Police have identified the man as Fernand Bolduc. He has been charged with three counts of being party to first-degree murder, one count of being party to an attempted murder, one count of conspiracy to commit murder and one count of being party to an arson with disregard for human life.

Bolduc attended bail court on April 25 to answer to the charges.

“This is an ongoing investigation and we are actively seeking information in relation to additional individuals who are believed to be involved in this incident,” GSPS said today.

Greater Sudbury Fire Services said firefighters responded to a 911 call with reports of fire and smoke from one of seven units in a row house on Bruce Avenue on April 11. 

Five city fire crews were dispatched to the call. Firefighters performed an initial search of the unit, Deputy Chief Jesse Oshell told Two people were declared dead at the scene, a 50-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman, while another person, a 33-year-old woman, was evacuated from the home with life-threatening injuries. 

She was airlifted to Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto, where she died April 16.

A fourth person, a 37-year-old man, had jumped from the second-floor window prior to the arrival of firefighters, said Oshell. He was also transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

“We were able to contain the fire to just the one unit, but there is smoke and water damage to adjacent units,” Oshell said. 

The fire displaced 12 people from seven units. The Canadian Red Cross and Greater Sudbury Housing helped with temporary accommodations for those affected.

Both police and the Ontario Fire Marshall were called in to investigate.

Bolduc is the second person arrested and charged in relation to the incident.

The first person arrested, Liam Stinson, was taken into custody April 20 and charged with three counts of Party to the Offence of First Degree Murder, and one count each of Party to the Offence of Attempt Murder, Conspiracy to Commit Murder and Party to an Offence of Arson - Disregard for Human Life.

Under the Criminal Code of Canada, a charge of being “party to” an offence can be laid against those who aids or abets “any person in committing an offence” and are considered to be “a party to that offence.” Under the code, “abetting could mean encouraging, instigating, promoting or procuring a crime to be committed, and must be done during the actual commission of the offence.”

If you have any information related to the identities of other individuals who were involved or if you have video footage of the fire, we ask that you please contact us at 705-675-9171.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Police at 705-675-9171 or Crime Stoppers at 705-222-TIPS, online at