Skip to content

Update: SIU investigating man's death in Garson standoff

Man, 63, was found dead inside the home after barricading himself inside

Updated Sept. 14 at 8:10 a.m.

The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death Thursday of a 63-year-old man in the Garson area.

A press release said that preliminary information suggests the following:

At around 6:15 p.m. Sept. 12, Greater Sudbury Police officers responded to a domestic situation at a home on Sunny Street. 

A person of interest – the 63-year-old man – had barricaded himself inside the home. 

Tactical officers and negotiators made attempts to speak with the man. 

At around 6:35 a.m. on September 13, Barrie Police Service (BPS) officers took over the incident. 

At around 12:30 p.m., tactical officers with the BPS entered the residence and located the man, deceased. He had suffered a gunshot wound.

Two investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this incident. The post-mortem is scheduled for Monday in Sudbury.

The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. 

The unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.

The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. 

Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.

Updated: Sept. 13, 3:20 p.m.

Shortly after 12:30 p.m. members of the Barrie Police Service Tactical Support Unit entered a residence on Skead Road where a 63-year-old man had barricaded himself inside.

Police entered the residence as they could no longer establish communications with the man and officers could no longer see any movement inside of the home.

Officers located the 63-year old man deceased inside of the residence. The investigation into this incident is ongoing.

The Special Investigations Unit has invoked its mandate and as per the Police Services Act and police are prohibited from releasing any additional information regarding the incident.

Updated Sept. 13 at 1:46 p.m.: Greater Sudbury Police continue to try to resolve the ongoing standoff on Sunny Street in Garson.

GSPS spokesperson Kaitlyn Dunn said negotiators have been on the scene since last evening when the police service's Tactical Unit arrived. When the Barrie Police Service's Tactical Support Unit arrived at 4 a.m., they resumed negotiations.

Those efforts are ongoing as the standoff enters its 20th hour.

"In situations like this, our primary objective is a safe and peaceful resolution," Dunn said this afternoon.

Updated Sept. 13 at 10:09 a.m.: The standoff on Sunny Street in Garson continued overnight and continues this morning.

In an update to media a few minutes ago, Greater Sudbury Police said members of the tactical unit and uniformed officers remained outside the home throughout the night.

The incident occurred just after 6 p.m. on Sept. 12. A neighbour in the Old Skead Road area posted to Facebook an hour later that he had heard a woman screaming and two gunshots that sounded like they came from a shotgun.

The victim in this incident, a 57-year-old woman, suffered gunshot wounds, police said, and is being treated at Health Sciences North for non-life-threatening injuries. 

GSPS said a 63-year-old man is also involved in this incident and remains barricaded inside the home.

At around 4 a.m. this morning, the Barrie Police Service Tactical Support Unit arrived to assist local police. GSPS uniformed officers remain along the outer perimeter, police said.

This morning, police allowed neighbours to leave their homes and go about their daily activities. Vehicle traffic on Sunny Street and Old Skead Road in the area of Sunny Street will be restricted while the incident is ongoing, police said.

Police ask members of the public not to livestream video of this ongoing situation to social media to preserve the safety of officers. will update this story as new information becomes available.

Updated Sept. 13 at 9:121 a.m. 

Greater Sudbury Police continue to surround a home on Sunny Street in Garson where a 57-year-old woman was shot last night and where a man has barricaded himself in the house.

Police have closed Old Skead Road from Burton to Patricia streets. A heavy police presence remains in the area, and though GSPS hasn't confirmed, it seems the standoff continues.

Police haven't said this morning if the standoff continues, but spokesperson Kaitlyn Dunn is expected to provide an update this morning on what's happening. reporter Heather Green-Oliver is at the scene. She captured a photo of a police bus from Barrie at the scene. GSPS hasn't provided an update so it's unclear the involvement of that police service in this incident.

This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

Update, 8:50 p.m.:

Release from Greater Sudbury Police:

"Around 6:15 p.m. we received a call regarding a disturbance involving two individuals on Sunny Street in Garson. As a result of the disturbance a 57-year old woman has been transported to hospital with serious injuries. The two individuals are known to each other.

"Uniform Patrol Officers and members of the Tactical Unit are on scene of 44 Sunny Street in Garson as the 63- year old man believed to be involved in this incident remains in the residence. The area has been contained by Officers. We ask that anyone in the immediate area remain indoors and that community members do not live stream footage of our officers while they respond to this active and ongoing incident.

"A further update will be provided when more information becomes available."

Original story:

Few details are available, but the public is being asked to avoid an area in Garson while Greater Sudbury Police deal with an ongoing incident.

"GSPS are currently investigating an incident in the area of Sunny Street, Garson," police tweeted Wednesday. "Expect heavy police presence. Police are requesting that the public avoid the area."

Someone living in the area reported seeing at least nine police cruisers and an ambulance. There are also unconfirmed reports of gunshots.

This story will be updated as more information comes available.