Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Testimony continues in doctor?s trial

BY KEITH LACEY klacey@northernlife.ca A woman now in her early 40s testified Friday she had just turned 15 when she visited Dr. Richard Nanka-Bruce after telling her mother she wanted to go on birth control pills.
0

BY KEITH LACEY

A woman now in her early 40s testified Friday she had just turned 15 when she visited Dr. Richard Nanka-Bruce after telling her mother she wanted to go on birth control pills.

The woman said she never returned again to be treated by Nanka-Bruce, alleging he sexually assaulted her. She felt Nanka-Bruce was trying to sexually arouse her and she became angry when the doctor asked about her personal sex life.

She was just a young girl and his questions and actions during the internal examination confused, stunned and angered her. She vowed never to return to him for any reason and never did, she said.

She learned a short time later her older sister had made similar allegations about Nanka-Bruce when she visited him for an internal examination around the same time period in 1979, she said.

Even though she knew her sister had made similar allegations and her sister became aware of her allegations against Nanka-Bruce, they never talked about the details, she said.

?It was just something we never talked about...we knew what had happened to each other, but we didn?t talk about it,? she said. ?It was just something we grew up with.?

Neither she nor her sister filed a report to police because they were very young and thought no one would believe their allegations, she said.

Under cross-examination by defence counsel David Humphrey Friday, the woman said she was ?completely surprised? when an investigator from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario contacted her in the spring of 2003 inquiring if she had any information about sexual impropriety by Nanka-Bruce.

She hadn?t heard any local media reports about an investigation or disciplinary hearing being held by the college against Nanka-Bruce back in 2003, she said.

She told the investigator about the incident, but couldn?t remember specific details about time of year, except it was warm outside and it was around the time of her 15th birthday, she said.

When Humphrey made suggestions the two sisters had talked about their separate incidents and may have formulated false information about Nanka-Bruce, the woman denied it.

She admitted she has launched a civil lawsuit against Nanka-Bruce since going to police with criminal allegations of sexual assault.

Nanka-Bruce, 61, has pleaded not guilty to six counts of sexual assault and three counts of indecent assault.

The two sisters and a mother and daughter are among the complainants.

All three witnesses so far have made similar allegations they were sexually assaulted while undergoing internal examinations at Nanka-Bruce?s office in Dowling in the late 1970s.

Justice Ian Gordon of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice has ordered a ban on publication of any evidence that could identify any of the complainants.

The trial is expected to last at least two more weeks.




Comments