Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Two men charged with attempted murder after Sunday evening shooting in Sudbury

Six people arrested after man shot on Whittaker Street
HandcuffsSized
Attempted murder charges have been laid against two men after a Sunday evening shooting, said Greater Sudbury Police on Monday. (File)

Attempted murder charges have been laid against two men after a Sunday evening shooting, said Greater Sudbury Police on Monday.

Just before 8:45 p.m. on Feb. 9, police attended a call regarding a weapons complaint at a home on Whittaker Street. Police were told a man had been shot and the person responsible had fled the scene.

When officers arrived on scene, they confirmed a 24-year-old man had a serious gunshot wound. He was taken to hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

Police were told multiple individuals were seen fleeing the complex on foot and getting into a dark vehicle. The caller was able to provide a licence plate.

Detectives from the Criminal Investigations Division located the vehicle in a parking lot off of Lasalle Boulevard. They saw an individual running out of the bush at that location and getting back into the vehicle.

The driver of the vehicle then drove down Lasalle Boulevard, heading towards Azilda.

Officers stopped the vehicle at a red light at the intersection of Municipal Road 35 and Marier Street. Officers conducted a high-risk vehicle stop, where members of the tactical unit were able to remove all five of the individuals from inside the vehicle.

Three men (18, 20 and 24 years old) and two women (22 and 24 years old) were arrested.

Officers located a replica firearm inside the car. 

The K9 Unit was dispatched to the wooded area behind the parking lot of off Lasalle Boulevard, where the firearm believed to have been used in the shooting was located.

While at the hospital, officers were alerted by staff that a second man had arrived at the hospital having sustained a gunshot wound.

The 25-year-old man was treated for his injuries and released into police custody, as he was breaching conditions of a judicial order and he is also wanted on an outstanding arrested warrant in southern Ontario.

The 18- and 20-year-old men have been charged with two counts of attempted murder with a restricted firearm. 

All five individuals have been charged with possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

Their names can't be released as the information has not yet been sworn to through the court process, said police.

The six individuals remain in custody as the investigation is ongoing. They are attending bail court today to answer to the charges.

“We do not believe there is any threat to the general public,” said police in the release.

Anyone with information related to this investigation is asked to phone 705-675-9171 or Crime Stoppers at 705-222-8477.