Greater Sudbury firefighters are gearing up for Fire Prevention Week 2005, complete with the theme ?use candles with care.?
During Oct. 9 to 15, fire services will be hosting educational displays in Greater Sudbury, reminding citizens of the importance of never leaving a burning candle unattended.
?Fires caused by candles are on the rise,? said fire chief Donald Donaldson. ?It's very important for people to remember that any open flame poses a serious fire hazard.?
?Extinguish all candles before leaving the room, even for a moment,? warns Donaldson.
?It's easier to put out a candle than it is to repair the damage of a major house fire.?
According to the Ontario fire marshal's office, candle fires increased by 47 percent from 1995 to 2001. In the past five years, approximately 1,400 reported residential fires were the result of candles, resulting in 20 deaths and 187 injuries over this time. There have been 17 fires caused by candles in Greater Sudbury in the past two years.
For candle safety, Donaldson recommends keeping the candles away from anything that might burn. Keep matches, lighters and candles away from children, and use sturdy candle holders that won't tip or burn.