Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

GSSC still optimistic about running their soccer program this summer

Club hoping to get response from city regarding field usage

 Greater Sudbury Soccer Club staff and board of directors have continually been working diligently toward providing the community with the opportunity to play soccer this summer. 

The board of directors has stayed in contact throughout the pandemic, communicating electronically and holding our monthly meetings online. 

During the board's June meeting, providing youth soccer training programming under Ontario Soccer’s Phase 1 criteria was considered, which allows restricted training, but does not allow the playing of any games, and requires physical distancing at all times. 

"For many reasons, the board decided that we would seek feedback from our members/families, in the form of a survey, and wait until some physical contact and small games would be allowed (under Phase 2) to consider offering programming," said GSSC in a news release.

"The Club has provided regular updates to our members on our website and through social media, related to any Ontario Government or Ontario Soccer announcements. We have all been patiently waiting with you for restrictions to be eased in order to live our lives and to participate in the game we love."

On July 13 the Ontario Government announced that certain regions would move into Phase 3 of their economic reopening plan, effective July 17, which included Sudbury. After this was announced, GSSC waited for direction from Ontario Soccer. 

On July 16 Ontario Soccer announced that the Ontario Government approved their Phase 2 criteria, which allows minimal physical contact during play and small-sided games. 

GSSC immediately put in a request to the Greater City of Sudbury for field time to arrange for our summer programming. At the time and which is still the case, the only field available was/is the James Jerome artificial turf field, where the schedule was/is both limited and subject to restrictions. 

"Please note that other groups in the city are in need of field time as well," said GSSC. "We are still waiting for a response from the city to our request. We have been in regular contact with the city and are hoping for a response by the end of this week."

If the club's request is approved, they will then finalize a technical plan for programming. The board of directors will then work together to consider and vote on the plan and the budget related to summer programming. 

"We are hoping to open registrations very soon and to then begin a five-week soccer program commencing the week of Aug. 10 (earliest start date), which will take us into September," said GSSC.

"We appreciate your patience as we work behind the scenes to provide you with soccer programming this summer, especially during these trying times."

For more information you can contact GSSC at or through their Facebook page if you have any additional questions or concerns.