Skip to content
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Photos: Red hot Wolves sweep homestand with a 5-3 victory

Barrie Colts defeated for the third time in the team's three season matchups

The Sudbury Wolves capped off their homestand with a 5-3 victory over the Barrie Colts Sunday, making this the third victory of the team's three season match-ups.

But the win didn't come easy, with the teams racking up 44 minutes in penalties in the chippy affair.

Sudbury Wolves' Liam Ross was named first star in the game followed by teammate and second star Peter Stratis.

St. Louis Blues' prospect Tyler Tucker opened up scoring for Barrie 4:38 into the first period, with help from Victor Hadfield and Luke Bignell. Sudbury responded a little under three minutes later when Levin potted his first goal of the afternoon, assisted by Owen Robinson and Stratis. 

Tucker returned to the net to deliver his second and final goal of the evening 11 minutes into play, accompanied by Ryan Del Monte and Christopher Cameron. Barrie closed out the period with a goal by Buffalo Sabres prospect Matej Pekar, assisted by Jason Willms and Tyson Foerster. 

Sudbury spent four minutes in the sin bin in the first period, for roughing and slashing, while Barrie had six minutes, for hooking, interference and high sticking. 

The Colts started the second period up two, with shots on goal an even 11.

up the second period for Sudbury with his third goal of the season

Isaak Phillips opened up the second period for Sudbury with his third goal of the season at 4:22, assisted by Emmett Serensits. Shane Bulitka followed this up at 16:53, tying the game with assistance by Chase Stillman. The teams headed into the final frame tied at 3-3, with shots on goal 9-5 in favour of Sudbury. 

Levin was first to the net in the third period, scoring what would turn out to be the game-winning goal at 1:13 with helpers from Byfield and Ross. The pack spent the remainder of the period defending their lead, holding off a flurry of shots from their southern rivals. 

The pack closed out the match with a short-handed insurance goal by Byfield on an empty Colts net at 19:33, claiming their fourth win of a four-game homestand with a 5-3 final.

Tempers flared in the final frame, resulting in Sudbury spending 12 minutes behind glass for slashing, hooking, interference and interference on a goaltender. Barrie, on the other hand, was issued four minutes for holding and a check to the head by Colts' Luke Bignell. 

Barrie outshot Sudbury 12-6 in the final frame and 28-26 in the game overall.

The Wolves are first in the Central Division, second in the Eastern Conference and third overall, with 18 wins and 11 losses. 

Next up for the pack is a trip to Sault Ste. Marie, to take on the Soo Greyhounds at GFL Memorial Gardens Dec. 11 at 7:07 p.m.