Skip to content

Rayside Balfour Canadians notch their first win of the season

Offence erupts for seven goals to take a 7-4 victory over Timmins Rock

The Rayside-Balfour Canadians offence erupted for seven goals to secure their first win of the season against the Timmins Rock Thursday night, with a final score of 7-4. 

The game featured four lead changes before Rayside finally pulled away on the back of three goals in 21 seconds midway through the third period. 

Mitchell Martin kicked off the scoring for the home side at the 11:03 mark of the first period on the power play with helpers from Wilson Farrow and Gavin Brown. The assist marked Farrow’s first career Junior point. 

Owen Perala followed up two minutes later at 13:28 with Brady Maltais and Nick DeGrazia drawing the assists. 

Timmins added two before the end of the period to tie the game going into the break. 

The Rock then added another just 45 seconds into the second period to take a 3-2 lead. 

Jaxon Bedard notched his first Junior goal at 8:43 from Maltais and Avery Chisholm to tie the game. 

The Canadians penalty kill has proved a scoring threat to the opposition early in the season as Oliver Smith added a shorthanded marker, the third shorthanded goal on the year for the Canadians, at 11:40 of the middle frame, giving the Canadians a 4-3 lead headed to the third period.

Timmins again tied the game just under five minutes into the third, but from then on it was all Rayside on the scoresheet. 

Martin added his second of the game at 11:46 with assists from Graeme Siren and Smith. Smith added his second goal and third point of the night just 10 seconds later from Brown and Martin, and Degrazia finished off the night 11 seconds after that from Maltais and Perala. 

The seventh goal marked the end of the night for Rock starter Gavin McCarthy who allowed seven goals on 28 shots and was replaced for the final 7:53 by Tyler Masternak. 

Maltais, Martin and Smith all chipped in with three points in the game, while Brown, DeGrazia and Perala added two. 

David Bowen was again solid for Rayside, making 36 saves on the 40 shots he faced. The re-addition of local player and Sudbury Wolves signee Giordano Biondi seemed to spark the Canadians team, who answered their early string of defeats with this seven-goal performance.

The Canadians travel to Timmins again Saturday for the final game of this first regular-season series, slotted to kick off at 8:30 p.m. at the McIntyre Arena.