Skip to content
26.2 °Cforecast >
! Partly Cloudy
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Wolves split pair of close weekend games

The Sudbury Wolves kicked off their five-game home stand in style as they defeated the No. 1 team in the Eastern Conference, the Barrie Colts, by a score of 3-2 in a shootout. The Jan.
Nick Baptiste had a busy weekend with the Sudbury Wolves, including scoring the winning goal in a shootout with the Barrie Colts on Jan. 18 at the Sudbury Arena. Photo courtesy of
The Sudbury Wolves kicked off their five-game home stand in style as they defeated the No. 1 team in the Eastern Conference, the Barrie Colts, by a score of 3-2 in a shootout.

The Jan. 18 victory vaulted the Wolves into a tie for fourth place in the Eastern Conference standings with 49 points.

The first-period remained scoreless until the 14:48 mark of the frame when Michael Kantor tipped home a Dominik Kubalik point shot four seconds into the man advantage to give the Wolves their first lead of the evening.

The Wolves power play has been dominant at home this season as they are operating at 32 per cent, which ranks first in the OHL.

With the goal, the Wolves went into the break with a 1-0 lead.

The Wolves dominated the shot clock in the first frame as they outshot the Colts by an 11-2 margin.

Anthony Camara wasted no time in scoring the equalizer as he would bang home a rebound past Wolves’ netminder Franky Palazzese exactly one minute into the second frame.

The Colts took the lead about four minutes later on the power play as Jake Dotchin fired a rocket from the point that would beat Palazzese upstairs.

Jeff Corbett sent the teams into the break tied at two as he scored his first of the season after receiving a pass from Nick Baptiste.

The Wolves outshot the Colts for the second-straight period by a 13-9 margin.

The third frame solved nothing as Palazzese was outstanding in net, making several key saves to send the game to overtime.

The Colts held the edge in shots in the third by a 10-8 margin.

Overtime solved nothing and the game headed to a shootout.

Baptiste proved to be the hero, as he beat rookie goaltender Alex Fotino on a beautiful deke.

Palazzese shut the door on Adreas Athanasiou to seal the victory for the home team.

Wolves 4 Rangers 5

In a game that marked the return of Josh Leivo, Frank Corrado and Joel Vienneau to the Nickel City, the Sudbury Wolves ended their weekend schedule with a hard fought 5-4 overtime loss to the Kitchener Rangers on Jan. 20.

With the loss, the Wolves fell back to fifth in the Eastern Conference standings one point behind the Brampton Battalion.

The Rangers opened the scoring at the 7:27 mark of the first period when former Wolves forward Derek Schoenmakers tipped home a Ryan Murphy point shot.

With the goal, the Rangers took a 1-0 lead into the break.

The Rangers outshot the Wolves in the first frame by a 13-10 margin.

It took the Wolves three minutes to pull even in the second frame as Baptiste beat Rangers’ netminder Veinneau on the short side to tie the game at one.

The Wolves wasted no time in taking the lead as Kantor found the back of the net only 1:33 later to put the Wolves up by a score of 2-1.

The Rangers tied it at two at the 14:40 mark of the second frame when Eric Ming scored a short-handed goal on a breakaway.

Campagna restored the Wolves' one-goal lead with 3:28 to play on a penalty shot where he made no mistake beating the Rangers’ netminder.

Camgagna's goal sent the Wolves to the dressing room with a 3-2 lead after two periods of play.

The Rangers held the edge in shots in the frame by a 13-12 margin.

Matt Puempel scored the equalizer in the third frame, beating Palazzese 37 seconds into the period.

Baptiste put the Wolves ahead again with 1:44 left to play in regulation when he banged home a rebound past Vienneau.

When the game seemed to be all but over, Tobias Rieder scored with 43 seconds to play to send the game into overtime.

The Rangers outshot the Wolves in the third frame by a 14-5 margin.

Leivo proved to be the hero in overtime as he completed the comeback with 25 seconds left in the overtime frame.

The Wolves will continue their five-game home stand on Jan. 23 when the Soo Greyhounds make their way to the Nickel City for Game 5 of the Bell Challenge Cup.

The Wolves defeated the Greyhounds back on Dec. 30 and now sit two games back in the season series by a 3-1 margin.

Game time is 7:35 p.m.