No new wildland fires were reported in the region May 19, according to the latest update from Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services.
Though there are no new fires, 11 fires in the northeast are active as of Thursday evening.
Among the active fires is Timmins 1, which was confirmed on May 10 and is located 2 km southeast of Morin Village and 0.5 km north of Barager's Lake.
The fire is currently 1,445 hectares and is not under control. There are 16 FireRanger crews battling the fire.
Residents of Shining Tree are able to return to the community via Highway 560 from Elk Lake only at this time and restrictions remain in place for all travel, use and access to a number of areas including: Highway 560 from Meteor Lake Road easterly to the Garibaldi/Sheard Township lines, Nabakwasi Road from Highway 560 northerly to the Miramichi/Connaught Township lines, all activities within Miramichi Township and parts of Garibaldi Township.
Barricades are currently in place on Highway 560 at Meteor Lake Rd and the intersection of Highway 560 and Sandy Lake Rd. A barricade is also in place at the intersection of Nabakwasi Rd. and Cabot Rd. A travel permit is needed from the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry to access the area.
Other active fires in the region include:
- Sudbury 4 was confirmed the afternoon of May 10. It is a 212-hectare fire located 3 km east of Estaire and one kilometre south of Nepewassi Lake road. It is under control.
- Sudbury 7 was confirmed the afternoon of May 10. It is a 221-hectare fire located 600 metres north of Ashigami road and 0.3 km west of Ashigami Lake Road East. It is under control.
- Timmins 2 was confirmed the afternoon of May 10. It is a 57.5-hectare fire located near Duchabani Creek, 1.5 km northwest of Cullen Lake. It is under control.
- Kirkland Lake 2 is under control at 40 hectares and was confirmed Friday west of Twitchgrass Lake.
- Sudbury 11 was confirmed on Friday. It is an 88-hectare fire located 2 km northeast of Mink Lake. It is under control.