Due to other court matters taking longer than expected on Nov. 13, sentencing submissions for perennial fringe candidate David Popescu have been adjourned.
Ontario Court Justice Heather-Ann Mendes said she expects the sentencing submissions to take an entire day, but the matter had been scheduled for 2 p.m. on Friday. As such, she adjourned the matter to Jan. 15 in the Cedar Street courthouse.
Popescu was found guilty in September of willfully promoting hatred against an identifiable group - homosexuals.
Crown attorney Leonard Kim said following the verdict his office is contemplating seeking a term of custody, meaning Popescu faces possible jail time.
Ontario Court Justice Heather-Anne Mendes said she was convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the homemade election materials compiled on DVDs and cover jackets were designed to promote hatred.
“I have no doubt Mr. Popescu’s statements were made with the clear intention of targeting an identifiable group in an attempt to promote hatred against members of the LGBTQ community under the guise of politics and religion.”