BY KEITH LACEY
An engineering firm that continues to expand its operations around the world was named Company of the Year by the Greater Sudbury Chamber of Commerce at the 10th Annual Bell Business Excellence Awards (BEA) Tuesday evening.
Named after founder Gerald Hatch in 1955, Hatch Limited has become one of the fastest-growing mining engineering companies in Canada. That growth resulted in the company moving into an impressive new 22,000 square foot office in the Rainbow Centre Mall.
Sylvain Bourque, operations manager for Hatch’s Sudbury operations, said the company has expanded from mining engineering to hydro energy projects as well as power and gas, and recently expanded to building infrastructure like subways and transportation lines around the world.
“We’ve been here in Greater Sudbury since 1989 and the future looks very bright for us...”
Hatch has entered into a joint venture program with McIntosh Engineering as project managers to develop the Nickel Rim South mine project near the Sudbury Airport.
They are also working on developing the initial phases of expansion of CVRD Inco’s Copper Cliff Deep Mine.
- What to Wear Inc., a women’s clothing retailer, owned by Cheryl Zeglin, who received the Business Start-Up Award sponsored by Northern Life and Northern Ontario Business.
- Holiday Inn Hotel, was presented with the Hospitality Award.
- FNX Mining Company Inc., one of the fastest growing mining companies in the region, received the New Venture Award.
-Candid Photography Studio owner by Tony A. Galic was presented with the Small Office Home Office Award.
- Laking Toyota/Northern Nissan was recognized with the Service Excellence Award .
- Rezplast Manufacturing Ltd., manufacturer of the Polar Climate Safety Shower and environmentally-friendly Portable Mining Toilet, was given the Innovation Award.
- Tracy Gilbert, owner of Ezentials, has surpassed all sales projections for products and services at her naturopathic family health clinic. She received the Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
- Peter Del Bianco, owner of Bianco’s Audiotronic, received the Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
- Risto Laamanen, president of Wallbridge Mining, was recognized for his contributions to this community.
He was awarded the Chair’s Award sponsored by the Greater Sudbury Development Corporation.