Skip to content
-5.3 °Cforecast >
Light Freezing Drizzle
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Council race: City staff 'too cozy' with KED developer, Ward 11 candidate says

The fact no hotel has committed to the project highlights holes in plan, John Lindsay says
0
john lindsay sized
John Lindsay. (Supplied)

News that Hilton Hotels isn't sharing the site-clearing costs for the Kingsway Entertainment District, and that they haven't committed to building in Sudbury has “exposed” the truth about the project, says Ward 11 candidate John Lindsay.

“So what is going on here?” Lindsay writes. “It is all 'smoke and mirrors' and the dreamers and schemers at the city who it would seem are 'in bed' with the landowner and Gateway Casinos being less than transparent? We expect better from our employees.

“Alarm is evident on the part of project proponents as public support is dropping and opposition growing as more evidence mounts of questionable dealings and unsubstantiated arrangements creating scepticism.”

Lindsay accused city staff of being “too cosy” with developer Dario Zulich, saying “there has always been concern amongst those following city hall meetings to see city staff sitting next to Mr. Zulich in the gallery and city staff at the planning committee table together with the landowner representatives.

“It all appeared 'too cozy,' but council approved this arrangement and staff cannot be held fully responsible, however the 'optics' are not good and it does create concern.”

The full text of Lindsay's release is below.

KED Dreamers and Schemers Exposed

Thanks to some investigative reporting by the Sudbury CBC, it now appears that Hilton Hotels are not as involved in partnership with the city, Gateway Casinos and Dario Zulich in the Kingsway Entertainment District as the city and the land owner had previously indicated and as was described in the two page ads in our local papers paid for by us taxpayers.

According to the CBC, Hilton Hotels stated that "as of Sept. 19, it is factually incorrect and unconfirmed that Hilton will be splitting operating costs with the city, the developer and Gateway Casinos for the upcoming Kingsway Entertainment District."

So what is going on here? It is all “smoke and mirrors” and the dreamers and schemers at the city who it would seem are “in bed” with the landowner and Gateway Casinos being less than transparent? We expect better from our employees.

Alarm is evident on the part of project proponents as public support is dropping and opposition growing as more evidence mounts of questionable dealings and unsubstantiated arrangements creating scepticism. We are inclined to believe Mr. Zulich when he says according to a recent quote that “we are onto something unbelievable here,” but not in the way he likely means.

There has always been concern amongst those following city hall meetings to see city staff sitting next to Mr. Zulich in the gallery and city staff at the planning committee table together with the landowner representatives. It all appeared “too cozy,” but council approved this arrangement and staff cannot be held fully responsible, however the “optics” are not good and it does create concern.

I personally endorse all candidates who want to put a stop to any site development and if elected will vote for reconsideration of the whole project. Let us end the apparent scheming and misinformation that is taking place and hopefully we can get the dreamers to wake up and be more forthcoming and factual to end what is becoming somewhat of a nightmare. 




Comments