Skip to content

Feds invest $1.6M in three local ridings for school energy efficiency upgrades

Funds flow from carbon price revenues
030521_School_Pexels

School boards in the Nickel Belt, Sudbury and Nipissing-Timiskaming ridings will share in $1.6 million in federal funds for energy efficiency upgrades for school buildings.

The announcement was made jointly by Nickel Belt MP Marc Serré, Sudbury MP Paul Lefebvre and Nipissing-Timiskaming MP Anthony Rota. The total amount of the investment is $1,674,716.

The money flows from a $40.8-million investment through the Climate Action Incentive

Fund to upgrade 162 schools in Ontario to be more energy efficient. 

“Energy-efficient schools will support better indoor air quality, leading to better health outcomes for Ontario students and educators, particularly throughout the COVID-19 pandemic,” a press release from the three politicians states. “Energy-efficient buildings also pollute less and help schools save on energy costs while fighting climate change.”

The release states the incentive fund receives revenues collected as part of the federal carbon-pricing system.

“In jurisdictions like Ontario, where the federal backstop currently applies, all revenues are returned to the province in which they were collected — approximately 90 per cent of revenue goes back to families through the Climate Action Incentive rebate,” the release states. “The other 10 per cent is invested in pollution reduction projects — such as these proposed for schools.”

Fund breakdown:

Ridings of Sudbury and Nickel Belt

  • Rainbow District School Board $345,094
  • Conseil scolaire catholique du district de Sudbury $124,190
  • Conseil scolaire catholique du Nouvel-Ontario (Sudbury) $132,349
  • Sudbury Catholic District School Board $115,458
  • Conseil scolaire catholique du Nouvel-Ontario (Nickel Belt) $113,587
  • Ridings of Nipissing-Timiskaming and Nickel Belt
  • Conseil scolaire catholique Franco-Nord $186,839
  • Near North District School Board $291,904
  • Nipissing-Parry Sound Catholic District School Board $185,791
  • Northeastern Catholic District School Board $179,504